Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting saw options - primarily for Geodes.  (Read 2983 times)

AlbionFireandIce

• Albion Fire and Ice
Cutting saw options - primarily for Geodes.
« on: September 26, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm in need of a saw, primarily for Quartz geodes, but it'll get used for some other things too.

The issue is - I'm in the UK. We have very few lapidary tool makers, and those that do exist are insanely expensive.

I can get a 230V electric tile cutter for under 50 quid, and I'm really leaning towards that at the minute - short of building my own I can't think of another real option.

I guess what I'm asking is - if you had to use a tile saw for this sort of thing - what would you look for?

Ranger_Dave

Re: Cutting saw options - primarily for Geodes.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 06:45:01 PM »

A tile saw will work just fine. I would try to find a thin lapidary blade for it. Another option is to look for an old tile pipe cutter. Sometimes called a soil pipe cutter, or a chain pipe cutter. A chain with points, or little wheels, wraps around the geode and breaks it with pressure. I use both a saw and a cracker. It depends on the thickness of the shell, crystals inside, and brittleness. Cracking preserves the crystals that might get cut with a saw. Some shells are too thin and just crumble. Small ones are hard to wrap with the chain. After a few hundred you get a feel for it.

AlbionFireandIce

• Albion Fire and Ice
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »

I actually had a look at those pipe cutters, but they're actually more expensive here than a proper lapidary saw. I have no idea why, they seem like a reasonably simple tool but cost upwards of 700GBP...

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »

They're expensive here too. I don't know why. Most pipes these days are plastic and those cutters aren't needed.  :dontknow:

AlbionFireandIce

• Albion Fire and Ice
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:33:31 PM »

It's an odd one, really. I think I'm going to stick to a cheapo tilesaw, but buy a good quality blade for it.

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »

Keep an eye out at yard sales, flea markets (I think you call them car boot sales), and such places for the pipe cutter. A friend got one for $10. I've also bought some good rocks at places like that too.

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »

My dad has a pipe cutter, but he'd probably disinherit me if he caught me messing with rocks with it. He still uses it pretty frequently.
If you have factory or wholesale machinery auctions, they might show up there too. My dad's probably came from Boeing Surplus.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

AlbionFireandIce

• Albion Fire and Ice
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »

I have actually found an option online which some people may be interested in - it is only effective for geodes, and will not help with any other form of cuts.

Attaching two triangular files to each side of a vice and closing the vice may help to crack the geode along the 'file' line. I'm going to give that a go when I can source two cheap files. I already have a cheapo engineers vice I don't mind sacrificing to the geode gods, if it all goes pearshaped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 41 queries.