Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nevada moss agate  (Read 3069 times)

Jhon P

Re: Nevada moss agate
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 06:12:07 PM »

The club is buried in snow right now.  There is about 400 members. They do one or two field trips every month starting about April through October

Jhon P

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »

Here is the sphere. I guess you will get me inspired to work on it

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:29 AM »

That is a sizable ball, Jhon!  So do you use Epoxy or Superglue on your void fills?  I have mostly gone with Epoxy 330 with crumbles from cuttings off sphere to fill voids because it is simple, fast, and cheap, but openly wondering if there are long term consequences.

Jhon P

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 04:42:22 AM »

Bond optic in a vacuum chamber seams to work best. But I always have a few pits show up when grinding that I will fill with CA glue if I want to try for a perfect sphere. I have talked to people that are thinning epoxy with acetone and having pretty good luck but haven’t tried it. If I have real vugs and not pitts I leave them.
 I will have to look at this sphere again and see how much effort I want to put into it, I don’t think that I was happy with the colors
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 30 queries.