Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pipes. stone wood and brass/copper  (Read 1606 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Pipes. stone wood and brass/copper
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:14:42 AM »

Again, most of the materials in these used to be something else that I disassembled and packed around for unknown lengths of time. The countertop marble has been following me around for seven years.

If the price is right I buy brass. It seems like I can always find something to do with it no matter what the shape.

Wood mostly comes from furniture but I have been given some small pieces of exotic hard woods (purple heart, red heart, orange something and several different browns). It has not taken me very long to learn that the dust from some of these are worse for the body than most rock dust. Went to a good mask and will be doing the sanding outside now that it has warmed up a bunch. Even with a shop vac connected to it the band saw is going to have to be shut down because there is still a lot of dust floating around. Last week I had a blade break so I took off my mask and replaced the blade. Did not have the same size blade to put back on so I had to readjust the saw which takes me quite a while. Next day I thought I was going to cough up a lung.

I have made over 30 pipes so this is kind of a cross section of the different styles so the photos don't run on forever.

Marble and wood have a tunnel to puff through.

Favorite. removed part of the handle and replaced it with puff tube.

Birds were fun to make. One of them had a hollow tail so it is puffed at the tail. Some of these are quite large.

Just the trumpet is the pipe.

Just brass.

The stem is removable from underneath the slab of angelite so this piece just looks like a coffee table decor. The hammered copper cala lilly has been following me for 12 to 15 years. The angelite came from John @jsgems in a trade at Quartzsite a few years ago.

Some odds and ends.

With incense holder.

Washington jade I got from Mel @lonerider way back at my beginning.

Marble wood.

Marble column with snake.

My best salvaged parts pipe. Counter top marble, candle holder bowl, wall hanging brass twisted wire snake, end cut off a brass drawer pull for snake head and the two columns are brass stems out of a shower faucet. Puff stem is new tube.

Bug that you puff on it's butt.

Made two of these, pipe in a box.

There you have it folks. High Way To Heaven. Most of them are in a store trying to get someone to take them home. Lots of lookers but no buyers yet. The store owner told me that a lot of people comment on them so they are already paid for.

Getting bored with the pipes already and no projects to move on to. One pass through all my junk will probably fix that.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Pipes. stone wood and brass/copper
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:18 AM »

Jim, you have the most wonderful imagination!  They are all unique, but my most favorite is the bug butt pipe!   :notworthy:
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Pipes. stone wood and brass/copper
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »

It is great to see you so busy and obviously your imagination must be going full time as well. Be careful as that dust is often immediately toxic. Hope to come over and see them myself this summer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 28 queries.