Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First moth of spring  (Read 1346 times)

Kaljaia

First moth of spring
« on: April 19, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

Between a lot of work days and a lot of hard rain, haven't done much with rocks (but my boss took his kids to Richardson's and had a ball, and has given the ok for limited digging! Yay!)

So have an early moth instead.

Was blowing around my office entryway, so grabbed it before it got torn to bids by the wind. It's a really early hatch (our night temps are still below freezing about half the time). I have been slowly transferring my insect collection to this location. A few our our local kids are interested in doing insect collections for 4-H. Having a few of the big pretty bugs in-hand to show them helps get that ball rolling. This guy's now in the freezer awaiting proper pinning and drying, along with a big polyphemus from last year.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: First moth of spring
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »

My Mainecoon Frank enjoys collecting.....
Silicate life form

LithicStrings

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

Great picture - thanks for sharing!

Cabbin Fever

• [My first cab!]
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

Cool specimen! Moths and butterflies I like...their grubs and caterpillars - and ornamental plant destruction - not so much. But, ya can't have one without the other! :)
Have you ever heard the story about the moth that saved Queen Victoria's life? http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Love-Urban-Legends/7475188
Enjoy!!
My first cab is from a piece of jasper I found on the beach in Newport, OR my first Mother's Day, 1983. I made it into a bracelet for my daughter Christmas 2017.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:51:23 PM »

Way to get the most out of life. You have a great attitude.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

Wow, beautiful shape.  A Cecropia right?  As a kid i had a really large insect collection and competed in the 4H Fair every summer.  I remember searching for insects almost everyday as a kid and spent a lot of time pinning them up so they would display well.  I even considered studying to be an emtomologist, in addition to a paleotologist, geologist, and Ufologist.  My oldest son is now a big bug nut and i am always on the lookout for things to pick up or catch for him.  His problem is that he tries to keep them alive forever and won't ever hurt them, so they end up in whatever position that they die in.  On a sad note, i have noticed a big decline in insect populations.  Last summer, i only saw a couple of Tiger Swallowtails, and usually i see hundreds or thousands each summer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 33 queries.