Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 24" Royal Saw without belts - Trying to refurb  (Read 3371 times)

gfisher

Re: 24" Royal Saw without belts - Trying to refurb
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 08:55:22 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion, I have looked at the half-nut and it is skipping, so will be looking at replacing it to see if it's the problem.

Jhon P

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

I got a tap and re threaded mine. I had to grind the face down to get enough to cut the threads deep enough. I know that highland park has the half nut for the fram Tom saws. I don't know adout the Royal

Slabbercabber

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »

Everything appears to be correct.  If the blade is turning in the correct direction, the angle drive should pull the vise into the blade.  That is, assuming the feed shaft is right hand.  I can't imagine anything else.

55fossil

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 06:08:27 PM »

Down to basics, not rocket science.  Without any belts on the machine turn the pulley that drives the worm gears the normal direction, ie: the direction that makes the saw blade throw oil toward the front of the machine.  just hold the half nuts on the threaded shaft and see if it pulls toward the saw blade. It takes a lot of turns as this is really geared down. If the threaded shaft pulls the half nuts towards the blade all is well so far. Do this with the machine unplugged and the saw blade removed. 10 minutes and you will know if everything is correct for drive operations. *** All of the threaded shafts I have seen can only be put on in one direction. You would need to have the wrong or homemade shaft and reverse threaded nut to go backwards so the odds are you have a different problem.

I just replaced my entire jaws with half nuts, mounting plate and half nuts with new parts from Highland Park manufacturer. These were put into an old 18 inch Frantom which now runs perfect. The parts were too worn out to salvage. I could have done it cheaper but this is part of my retirement gift to self.

There are numerous problems that lead to worn out half nuts and vices. Make sure the vice moves smoothly but cannot rock in any direction when pulled or lifted on. If the vise does not move smoothly with a firm push it is too tight. If it shoots down the carriage like a rocket with a nudge it is too loose which is also bad. These are critical adjustments if you want smooth slabs.

gfisher

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »

Thanks again to all for the comments, I will be looking into the threaded shaft and the 1/2 nut to see if there is a problem with the feed.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.