Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saw is acting funny and well not working  (Read 4229 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Saw is acting funny and well not working
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »

I don't think I have seen a reference to the make of saw.  Is it a mechanical feed like the old Highland Park saws or Electronic feed like a Lortone.  I have had the feed motor start going which caused the on/off sound of cutting as the feed would continually engage and disengage.  If it is Electronic feed try running the motor direct to current with the feed switch out of the equation and see if the motor or sound varies.

55fossil

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 03:48:06 PM »

????   It sounds like you are talking about a light duty 6 inch tile saw, not a slab saw. Please be more specific so we are not spending time trying to think 1/3 HP or larger motors and 15 amp circuits. The rest of the story please...

I have used numerous tile saws from Home Depot and Harbor Freight. You get what you pay for and they work just fine as trim saws and slabbing little stones by hand.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »

He was specific.
https://www.facetshoppe.com/cart/02-220.html its one of these although I had thought it was a 6" blade.

Bluetangclan

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »

Good and bad news. I got it to work. Definitely the motor. I got it to work by hitting it with a crescent wrench a few times until it ran at speed. Was able to finish cutting the jade pieces I needed very easily when it runs at full speed. Obviously not a permanent fix so I will look into finding a replacement motor, looks easy enough to swap out if I can find the model I need.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »

rusted bearings?
Silicate life form

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »

Sorry I didn't see that link and I thought I read all the responses. I bought an ameritool trim saw and it was junk.  The housing that the motor is in is not sealed and the motor is held in place with automotive hose clamps for a nice true 90 degree cut (if you have your hose clamps calibrated, lol).  The water gets into the motor quite easily and I had mine quit because some did make it in so I had to take it apart and clean it out. Mine always sounds like it is not going to make it thru trimming a cab out of a 5.mm slab.  Fortunately I only bought and use it for material that doesn't like oil

Bluetangclan

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »

That is exactly what I have, hose clamps and all. Water was indeed my first suspicion as well. Its working but I think I will stick to using it for opal and soft stone. Whats a good not too expensive slab/tile saw?

Slabbercabber

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 04:54:18 AM »

"Whats a good not too expensive slab/tile saw?"
Kind of mutually exclusive terms.  :LOLOL:  My personal opinion is that Lortone walks the line between low cost and useable equipment.  There is certainly better but if you go any cheaper you get problems.  Tile saw can be used for trimming but slabbing with anything other than a slab saw will always be iffy.

kenny

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »

http://www.johnsonbrotherslapidary.com/Rock_Rascal_Saw_Model-J_Basic.html
These are pretty basic if you watch ebay they do show up used a used motor (1/3hp) can be found pretty cheaply, I think the Lortone has a bigger table , not sure, so that may be more desirable. Repair parts should be readily available and there is not really much to go wrong with them, bearings and shaft about it. Either should last a lifetime.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 07:51:29 AM »

Saw the reference to Ameritool. Their website describes what sounds like a DC motor similar to what Inland uses. If that's correct I know from experience that type of motor is less reliable over time. Belt-driven saw with AC motor will be more dependable.

edgarscale

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 10:02:51 AM »

http://www.johnsonbrotherslapidary.com/Rock_Rascal_Saw_Model-J_Basic.html
These are pretty basic if you watch ebay they do show up used a used motor (1/3hp) can be found pretty cheaply, I think the Lortone has a bigger table , not sure, so that may be more desirable. Repair parts should be readily available and there is not really much to go wrong with them, bearings and shaft about it. Either should last a lifetime.

i thought the "johnson brothers" went out of business?  nice to know they are still around.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »

Before you junk the motor, try to plug a lamp into the same outlet and turn it on.  Run the saw.  If the power (of the saw) goes up and down and the light brightens and dims you may have bad wiring in the walls.  Tis the season for mice and such to move in.  I've seen some very weird wiring by some very knowledgeable people.  Good luck
Steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 47 queries.