Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rough Sapphire  (Read 1883 times)

Sapphireminer

Rough Sapphire
« on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:33 PM »

Hi  all put up a couple of photos of 2 sapphires I dug today the first is 12 carats and the second I put on the flat lap to tidy it up it is 11.1 carat

Jhon P

Re: Rough Sapphire
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:52 PM »

Very pretty. Do you facet them?
Do you ever find any of the Black Star sapphire? Or dose that come from s different area

Sapphireminer

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:23:01 AM »

Hi Jhon P I haven't done any faceting for a few years as my eyesight isn't much good anymore. We have what we call a bronze star which is a dark sapphire with a bronze star usually a 6 leg star . I haven't found any larger ones for a while but found a few small ones (1 to 5 carat ) posting a photo of 3 rough bronze stars the larger one is about 13 carat you can just see the bronze sheen on the bottom 2.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 05:18:27 AM »

Beautiful colors on those sapphires.  You're so lucky to be able to go and find these.  Those black ones are cool, too.  Do you have a picture of a finished one with the star?
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:48:26 AM »

Good to know you find the "dark stars" there. It's one of my favorites, and have a small one in a ring from '94. Bronze star is a more accurate name for most of them anyway, right? Even the darkest ones I've seen aren't a true black.

Sometimes at shows people offer to sell us a black star "sapphire" that's really black. They're usually either offended or convinced we're idiots when we tell them it's a diopside - even after explaining it has four rays instead of six. 

Thanks for posting photos of your beauties!

ileney

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 06:35:15 AM »

Those are large! Where do you find them?

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »

I have an affection for star stones. I bought this scarab ring from a guy (he was selling off some of his excess that he didn’t wear)for $35.00 I thought that was a sapphire but it may be a doipside being it is a four Ray?  Do you sell the rough and be willing to mail it to the USA? It may be fun to cut a cab

Sapphireminer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:47:35 PM »

Hi hummingbirdstones I found these stones 30m from my front door as I live on our mining claim just have to walk out the door to go to work. I don't have any cut to take a photo of.
Hi ileney we found these stones on our sapphire mining claim in Queensland Australia
Thanks for your comments vitzitziltecpatl
Hi Jhon P pm sent

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 06:04:30 AM »

Great color! Great finds!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 40 queries.