Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opal repair  (Read 1698 times)

auscarver

opal repair
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:02:49 AM »

This little lightning Ridge opal carving is still my favorite, it was damaged a few years back, cracked, I have repaired quite a few gems in recent years, I used epoxy 330 and acetone mix in a vacuum, removed around 80 %, seems to be getting better every day as the acetone evaporates, the crack runs through the right side of the black potch at the top, polished on 100 k diamond, may try cerium as it may be even better, very happy with the outcome , my new camera shows the true color much better than my old picture.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: opal repair
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »

Thanks for posting this repair. Robin is testing some epoxies and mix percentages on some old cracked opals now. None as cool as your carving, but one is a really nice large Mintabie cab with a small crack on one edge.

So far we're finding cracks in crystal opal remain visible, but look better when filled with the epoxy. They don't have the same light reflection from the internal fracture face, but still look like a cotton or potch line. At least they won't fall apart.

Pusscat

• Peter
    • Petros Rocks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »

Very impressive carving...must have taken you some time to complete.

Amylynn

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:08:58 AM »

This little lightning Ridge opal carving is still my favorite, it was damaged a few years back, cracked, I have repaired quite a few gems in recent years, I used epoxy 330 and acetone mix in a vacuum, removed around 80 %, seems to be getting better every day as the acetone evaporates, the crack runs through the right side of the black potch at the top, polished on 100 k diamond, may try cerium as it may be even better, very happy with the outcome , my new camera shows the true color much better than my old picture.

This is beautiful!!  Do you use a micromotor or a flex shaft for carving?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 30 queries.