Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Identify real crystals versus fakes  (Read 5726 times)

Amythest

Identify real crystals versus fakes
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »

Hi, I'm relatively new to crystals and am having trouble telling fakes from the real thing. I've noticed in shops crystals can be extremely expensive and as I'm a student on a tight budget I've turned to eBay. Recently two specimens that gave caught my eye on eBay are this jasper agate sphere and a clear quartz cluster. I've seen clear quartz clusters such as this one sell on this users account for up to 50 pounds as it is a very large lump of quartz. This quartz however has no bids and as m wondering should I bid? I know quartz can be easily faked and can often just be glass so I really need some help!! Have attached a photo of the quartz. The ocean jasper is also relatively cheap and I know this specific rock is now quite rare so am very skeptical. I don't know much about faking crystals but it looks extremely convincing and beautiful in its own right, however, I would not like to waste time on a fair. Please help me a beginner out!!

kenny

Re: Identify real crystals versus fakes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:23:14 AM »

real thing

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 07:25:54 AM »

They look real to me. The sphere looks pretty small may be one of the mass produced one from China
The crystals could be from Arkansas. The fake one are perfect these are not and show iron stains.
Maybe an expert can commit too

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:44:06 AM »

Ocean jasper may be mined out but there are huge piles of it all over the world. Many people indulged and bought huge amounts of it and while it sells fine you can often find it for a reasonable price , especially the color combinations which are more common.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »

Growing a quartz cluster like that would cost far more than it is worth.

southerly

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:30 AM »

Both of these are the real deal, cost more than they are worth to fake them. There are plenty of fakes out there though. There are some good internet sites with heaps of information on fakes, www.the-vug.com is a good starting point with a site dedicated to fakes and heaps of pictures. The IGA is also a good resource for info on fake gemstones.

David

Amythest

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »

Thanks for all the info and help guys!  Really glad to hear they're both legit, hopefully I'll learn to tell if they are or not myself quite quickly. Gonna take a look at that site david, it looks very helpful.

Gem Realm

• Gem Realm
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »

Those look real to me. The fakes tend to look glassy and can even have tiny streaks and water bubbles in them.
~ Rosemary

Gem Realm
www.gemrealm.com

Felicia

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »

Real
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 41 queries.