Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covington 8" Diamond Grinder & Polisher?  (Read 1697 times)

denverkris

Covington 8" Diamond Grinder & Polisher?
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to lapidary (been taking classes at a local school) but I've really been enjoying it. I just noticed that someone in my area has one of these for sale, VERY lightly used:
https://covington-engineering.com/lapidary-equipment/grinders-polishers/8-grinder-polisher/8-diamond-grinder-polisher/

Would you consider this machine OK for a beginner? The cost that they're selling it for (since it's quite heavy and i'm sure they don't want to ship it) makes it quite attractive. I'm sure I'd probably have to change belts to get a fully finished piece, but for a n00b I think that's acceptable?

Oh, and if it helps, I only make cabs to use in my own hobbyist jewelry. Should I go for it and grab up this bargain?

Thanks,
Kris.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Covington 8" Diamond Grinder & Polisher?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »

The older the better on these machines but if the price is good jump on it.They were madee better in the past a statement that I think is valid for all cabbers even the most expensive ones.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »

The good things about this unit, IMO.

You have constant fresh water spray which is great. The two main grinding wheels are 8 inch for larger stones. Diamond is the quick way for main grinding and shaping. The 8 inch expand is perfect for so many things. You can use SC or diamond belts, I prefer SC. You can quick change to whatever grit belt you need with no tools. Nice to have an all in one unit that does not take up the whole shop.

Bad thing;   Like with all lapidary equipment good stuff is pricey. I have two Covington units I purchased new and they work well.

?????  Is that a picture of the unit you are purchasing?  Make sure and listen to the unit run before plunking down the money. Bearings are easy enough to change but it is a hassle.

Rustycat

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

The good things about this unit, IMO.

You have constant fresh water spray which is great. The two main grinding wheels are 8 inch for larger stones. Diamond is the quick way for main grinding and shaping. The 8 inch expand is perfect for so many things. You can use SC or diamond belts, I prefer SC. You can quick change to whatever grit belt you need with no tools. Nice to have an all in one unit that does not take up the whole shop.

Bad thing;   Like with all lapidary equipment good stuff is pricey. I have two Covington units I purchased new and they work well.

?????  Is that a picture of the unit you are purchasing?  Make sure and listen to the unit run before plunking down the money. Bearings are easy enough to change but it is a hassle.

I hope this is an appropriate thread to tag on to.  I'm making my first cab machine and am shopping 8"x2" diamond wheels out of China.  One company said that steel wheels were more often used by their customers that do jade and recommended them over aluminum.  The steel wheels are cheaper, but thE savings are negated by the increase in shipping cost for the heavier steel.  I'd appreciate opinions. TIA. /quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 29 queries.