Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to yukonjade and his Richardson Ranch Thunderegg Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby or Job?  (Read 3012 times)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Hobby or Job?
« on: February 01, 2015, 12:14:28 PM »

I've been thinking for some time that I wanted to share what I really do.   It's a job, or at least it is my legal business, but I would definitely not say that there is enough work to call it a job!   Anyway, I started in stained glass something like 26 years ago, after my son was born and I found I needed some type of mental and physical "therapy".   He was born with symmetrical brain atrophy, and I needed a stress outlet.   

First, what the atrophy meant (since I know some of you are wondering) was that his brain was literally atrophied, or undersized on both hemispheres, rather than just on one.   He also had the scalloping in his forebrain that would lead to mental retardation.   So his prognosis was development like children with Down's syndrome and physical delays along the line of Cerebral palsy.  Or maybe the brain would play catch-up, since we really do not understand the miracles that the brain can decide to take on.   I firmly believe that God decided that the miracle path was the way we were going to go.   To make a long story short, he is now a Mechanical Engineer with a BS and MS, and works in his field.     :angel9:

Back to stained glass.   I work in the field, have taught for 20 years, and do restoration work.   That includes churches, residential, restaurants, and most often Busch Gardens Williamsburg while they are closed down for the winter.   So I thought I would include some pictures of this work, and then a couple of pieces that I just really like.    Hope you enjoy it.

Shot of a panel during the process of replacing 2 broken panes of glass.  Shot with rondel panel, and pane to be removed.

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Re: Hobby or Job?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:42 PM »

Next shot is the glass removed for the repair on that rondel window in the above post, then two lamps I have made that I particularly like. 

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »

Gorgeous pieces!  We all need our forms of therapy.  Sometimes there are things in life that make us realize the best therapy are things that don't talk back to us.   :thumbsup:
-Amanda
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/EnchantedRegalia
http://www.pinterest.com/amandabielski/
https://www.facebook.com/enchantedregalia/

Coincidence is G-d's way of staying anonymous.  -Rabbi David Abrahams

Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways, it can change someone else's life forever. - Comedian Margaret Cho.

A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football!!!  (From an email message I received - so true!)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »

Wonderful creations.

Absolutely agree on the therapy side of things.
Carving does that for me. Sitting on it for hours on end and the world just drops away for a while.
While any problems are still there when coming out of it, very often new solutions have materialized. :icon_sunny:
Anything not given, is lost.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:35:14 PM »

'Bout time you came outta' the closet! Finally seeing some of your "work" is a real treat!!!

Now, you know Robin will want to get back into stained glass after seeing this, so I'm thinking lessons... . Heh, at least we have a room for you. Perhaps a couple of lessons either side of next year's Pow-Wow in Quartzsite... ?

BTW - wonderful story about your son, and how your "therapy" worked out so beautifully.

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:44:08 PM »

I used to dabble in stain glass too but I never got to your level of beauty:)
I think rock people have many interests and they love to at least try their hands in anything. Everyone I have ever met in here and other forums have many levels of artistic abilities:)
I am so glad about your son. Life is so good:)

ToTheSummit

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:05 PM »

Beautiful work!  A friend of mine was dabbling in stained glass about 15 years ago.  I would watch him and I always found it interesting but never tried it myself.  You certainly seemed to have mastered the art!

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »

Thank you everyone, but level of expertise or level of mania is strictly in the eyes of the beholder!  It was wonderful therapy, and I do still somewhat fall into it, but not so much anymore.  It becomes work, ya know?   :glasses9:  Now, rocks and jewelry?  There is still such a mystique there.  (Frequently because I'm trying to figure out how to do something!).  And Robin and I are going to have FUN!!!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »

Thanks for sharing.Life is often a very strange road and you have obviously found your way. Great visuals and I for one would love to see more.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:32 AM »

What a treat to see your glass work.  I appreciate the level of expertise your work entails.  More important thanks for sharing a vital part of your personal life.
Helene

Itsandbits

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:44 AM »

when your "therapy" turns out work like that, I suggest you keep it up :headbang:
When I hear a story like yours I can't help but reflect on the tenacity of life and how; if effort is put into it, how much can be accomplished; most of us don't really have much to complain about.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 12:39:01 PM »

It's really nice to share something and find it received with such empathy.   I have been so blessed.   I wish you all could meet my boyo, he is beyond awesome.  Still a frequent pain in the butt, like every healthy child, young or old.   :glasses9:  And I never really thought of stained glass as a positive side benefit of all that drama.   hehee...   I like that!!! 

It is surprising how much stained glass work and jewelry work are similar.   You grind the glass/stone, you use thin metals to hold it into place.   You can use multiple pieces of stone together, just like glass.   I even use my beveler for glass in stone work.   It is essentially a flat lap with an interchangeable cone lap.   Instead of the soldering iron we use a torch, but even then still very similar.  Flux, you name it.  Even the glass can be found in nature- sea glass!!!   

Here are two other lamps, both Tiffany reproductions that I did many years ago.   The one that is fall colored red/green leaves might be my favorite (at least today...).

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »

Wow I always wanted a Tiffany lamp. I love the red/green one too:)

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

Wow. All those layers of leaves give me the feeling that just any second something could spread some of those leaves and be there looking out at me looking at it.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 09:49:53 PM »

I see what you mean about similar process.  No matter what fine craft we tackle... always the buffing, grinding, connecting, and polishing. 

I bet those lamps light up a room even when they are turned off.

Helene
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 48 queries.