Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picking your brains  (Read 2554 times)

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
Picking your brains
« on: February 22, 2017, 09:34:48 PM »

Hello!

Please inform me of a better place for my inquiry if that exists. I am new to the gemstone world and looking to cut my teeth in the industry. I work with great and talented people but I'm having a hard time finding the demand. Does anybody have any tips for the new kid? I am going to gemstone shows starting in March and am looking forward to it. Regardless thanks for the input.

J.P.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

Barclay

Re: Picking your brains
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:09 AM »

The first place I would start is your local rock club.  They should have field trips to show you where the cool rocks are and what they look like.  they will hopefully have a shop where they can teach you how to turn the rock into jewelry.

Kaljaia

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 07:39:32 AM »

Are you talking about demand for the product your artisans are making? If so, what's your company/brand name and do you have a website? Personally if I'm buying artwork sourced overseas at a small market venue, I'm going to want to see the fair trade info and know which country, which population, etc. is making it, who is importing it, how the business is handled, etc. Stones are stories and statement pieces. If I wear something that someone's going to notice and ask about, I want the backstory to go with it. This is true of all the international jewelry I wear. If I can't buy it from the artist, then I want to buy it from someone I know is treating the artist right.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »

Are you talking about demand for the product your artisans are making? If so, what's your company/brand name and do you have a website? Personally if I'm buying artwork sourced overseas at a small market venue, I'm going to want to see the fair trade info and know which country, which population, etc. is making it, who is importing it, how the business is handled, etc. Stones are stories and statement pieces. If I wear something that someone's going to notice and ask about, I want the backstory to go with it. This is true of all the international jewelry I wear. If I can't buy it from the artist, then I want to buy it from someone I know is treating the artist right.

Yes I am talking about demand from our artisans. The rest of what you said is really well put and precisely what I am trying to portray with our company. Our website is KosbareJewelers.com. personally I believe the back story is the most interesting part

J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »

My thoughts both good and .... You asked.    Your web site is very good. I like the links and forum. Your pictures could use help. I would start with cropping them so the items for sale are more visible.  The story for your idea of helping locals is very good but lacking in detail. As an example, I use to contract with three families in Kathmandu to do silver work with my hand cut gemstones. I loved the Kathmandu connection but it really was about getting great work for a very reasonable price from people who were living treasures. There was no partnership but we became great friends. You do not mention what type of arrangement you have other than buying from a central seller so it really does not let your potential buyers see how "your partners" benefit in a substantial way or if there is an actual partnership verses just buying from an overseas outlet. This makes a big difference but I do like what you are aiming for.
    I fully support any demand that will help increase the wages of people in countries who are underpaid, etc....  But even Boise, Idaho has outlets selling overseas imported jewelry that is good quality and extremely cheap. These stores make statements of how they are selling handmade jewelry and crafts to support underpaid native craftspeople. They also have outlets here selling handmade items by people who immigrated to Boise to escape harsh conditions in their homeland. Without a direct statement of how your store benefits people in need there is not a special reason to buy from you that strikes home to me. A statement of how your partnership benefits underpaid people overseas would definitely make a huge impact. Especially a statement that describes the partnership other than just being a buying situation from an overseas business. Your idea is great, run with it.

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »

My thoughts both good and .... You asked.    Your web site is very good. I like the links and forum. Your pictures could use help. I would start with cropping them so the items for sale are more visible.  The story for your idea of helping locals is very good but lacking in detail. As an example, I use to contract with three families in Kathmandu to do silver work with my hand cut gemstones. I loved the Kathmandu connection but it really was about getting great work for a very reasonable price from people who were living treasures. There was no partnership but we became great friends. You do not mention what type of arrangement you have other than buying from a central seller so it really does not let your potential buyers see how "your partners" benefit in a substantial way or if there is an actual partnership verses just buying from an overseas outlet. This makes a big difference but I do like what you are aiming for.
    I fully support any demand that will help increase the wages of people in countries who are underpaid, etc....  But even Boise, Idaho has outlets selling overseas imported jewelry that is good quality and extremely cheap. These stores make statements of how they are selling handmade jewelry and crafts to support underpaid native craftspeople. They also have outlets here selling handmade items by people who immigrated to Boise to escape harsh conditions in their homeland. Without a direct statement of how your store benefits people in need there is not a special reason to buy from you that strikes home to me. A statement of how your partnership benefits underpaid people overseas would definitely make a huge impact. Especially a statement that describes the partnership other than just being a buying situation from an overseas business. Your idea is great, run with it.
Thank you boss! I really appreciate the input and constructive criticism. I agree that the detail is lacking. This whole process has been quite exciting and I am trying to strategically release info according to my plan. Since you are interested...We have made great relationships with the people running the center. They are struggling because unless they sell their jewelry to the big guys for bottom dollar...There is not much of a market. We hope the empower them so to speak. If myself and my partner's to the leg work (website, e-commerce, final packaging) they will be able to operate with free reign as long as it's socially and environmentally responsible.
You guys are great and please keep the input coming. This is still a young idea that will need some nursing yet.

Thank you all!!
J.P.

J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

Please forgive my horrendous errors on the last post. Wrote the reply during several red lights lol. I will spell check from now on
J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

Back

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 01:35:55 PM »

Hi All

I just saved this thread :glasses9:

Hi JP

You typed that at a stop light? It would take me a week :angry:

I have the same kind of idea in mind also but it is 2 to 3 years out.

Bless
Shawn

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »

????cute, but I am no ones boss. You asked for input and I tried to be honest and polite! I have had much constructive criticism on my business and web sites over the years. Even the worst was helpful in some way. One thing I have found is that honesty and an open door will get you repeat business which is extremely valuable. I noticed another comment referencing the comment "our Artisans" as this is important. It is great if you can help people get what they deserve for their work, especially if they are being underpaid. Higher demand usually dictates higher prices, but not always. I wish you well but if you are not truly partners do not use that reference. If you are not paying more than the "big guys" you are still helping increase their income. If you are paying them above their normal price you should be proud of that and say so. Too many third world people need the help we can give them. I do wish you well and great success.

PS: you can visit my web sites, blueowyheegems.com or dspjgems.com for insight and see my shortcomings. Also there is my flickr site which shows much about me, my likes and my work with stones,  https://www.flickr.com/people/blueowyheegems/?rb=1  Also, my e-bay rating is 100% and top rated seller for many years. Wish I could say I am making a lot of money but really just having fun.

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »

????cute, but I am no ones boss

Please no offense...I use boss as a term of respect. I greatly appreciate the input and will continually soak up as much knowledge as I can from you guys!

J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »

Hi All

I just saved this thread :glasses9:

Hi JP

You typed that at a stop light? It would take me a week :angry:

I have the same kind of idea in mind also but it is 2 to 3 years out.

Bless
Shawn
Haha three stop lights actually...But don't give up! I think it's a pretty unique idea that is going to take hold. I would be more than willing to chat with you one on one about the subject.

J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

Kosbare

• Kosbare.com
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

????cute, but I am no ones boss. You asked for input and I tried to be honest and polite! I have had much constructive criticism on my business and web sites over the years. Even the worst was helpful in some way. One thing I have found is that honesty and an open door will get you repeat business which is extremely valuable. I noticed another comment referencing the comment "our Artisans" as this is important. It is great if you can help people get what they deserve for their work, especially if they are being underpaid. Higher demand usually dictates higher prices, but not always. I wish you well but if you are not truly partners do not use that reference. If you are not paying more than the "big guys" you are still helping increase their income. If you are paying them above their normal price you should be proud of that and say so. Too many third world people need the help we can give them. I do wish you well and great success.

PS: you can visit my web sites, blueowyheegems.com or dspjgems.com for insight and see my shortcomings. Also there is my flickr site which shows much about me, my likes and my work with stones,  https://www.flickr.com/people/blueowyheegems/?rb=1  Also, my e-bay rating is 100% and top rated seller for many years. Wish I could say I am making a lot of money but really just having fun.
Thank you taking the time and interest to discuss this. I very much appreciate your insight. I use "partner" loosely, and possibly incorrectly. Simply put...I have friends that are small scale miners and craftsmen (I was informed that the latter was the correct phrasing) who operate in a market dominated by large corporations and do not have the means to bypass them successfully. We have the idea to build a platform that they can use to sell and market their work on a much larger scale. This way they can deal on their own terms and sell by their own (higher) prices. Thank you for the back and forth! I am always willing to discuss this.

J.P.
J.P.
Co-founder, Kosbare
kosbare.com

55fossil

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »

Best of luck. I hope you find a niche. One thing that is certain in the on-line sales world, you must have quality photos. Nothing sells a good item for a good price like quality photos. And the photos must look like the item the buyer receives, especially on higher value pieces. Even the less expensive pieces should have accurate photos. Many people who become repeat buyers often buy a lot of average priced pieces so they can have different pieces to wear every day. Repeat customers come with honesty and accurate photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 51 queries.