Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with used up hard wheels?  (Read 6006 times)

ileney

What to do with used up hard wheels?
« on: September 01, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »

So I finally used up a 4" galaxy hard wheel and am left with what looks like a shiny stainless steel, smooth wheel. It seem like it should be good for something. After all, they are heavy stainless steel (I think) wheels. Has anyone found a new use for these or do people just chuck them?

kenny

Re: What to do with used up hard wheels?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »

I'm not sure what they can be used for or if they are actually stainless, but I have a small machining operation and would possibly interested in having one just cause I might dream up something to do with it.

Trails

• Ever wandering
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »

Somewhere, someone, had mentioned about using anti-skid tape to redress old wheels to have a 80grit hard sanding wheel. I know from handyman work, the glue they use on these pads is like fly-paper and once its down, its down, and holds up to wear and weather. I haven't tried it myself but its been floating around in my head since I read it.

Even as is.. I could see a 4" steel wheel being a great barrel-roller for some grand belt-sanding contraption.
Tay

montanajohn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

While you are thinking, Trails, think up a use for all those old saw blades.  They should be good for something??

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »

For those who have flat laps, old saw blades and worn out steel toppers are good for putting foam pad and resin disc setups on. We have a set of diamond resin discs set up like this. Being able to change grits in seconds is great.

montanajohn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 05:45:55 AM »

Cool!  I will have to think some on how to do this, Thanks

ileney

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:54:40 AM »

Hm... the anti-skid tape is intriguing. I wonder if that would work. I may have to try it.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

old wheels? resurface them. Several techniques have ben posted here over the years. you just have to search for them.
Old sawblades? Paint on them to sell at craft shows. Also. make great targets and brightly painted wind chimes.

ileney

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »

You can resurface the soft wheels. I don’t think that trchnique works for hard wheels.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »

You can resurface the soft wheels. I don’t think that trchnique works for hard wheels.
  yes, it does. I've done it to several. just need to make sure everything is clean clean clean and follow the directions. You can't hog your rock into it like an original welded wheel, but if you use a softer touch and a little more time, they work and wear well.

55fossil

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »

I have re-surfaced several of the soft Genie 6 inch wheels with leather. I put my favorite finish polish on a wheel and use it to polish my cabochons. I like it better than the leather side pads that are on the Genie and almost as well as my Richardson's Ranch 12 inch leather polishing wheel. The 12 inch is on the shelf out of the way as it takes up a lot of bench space. The Genie wheel pops on in seconds on my spare arbor. Plus I now have separate wheels for Cerium, , tin oxide and other polishes so there is no contamination issues.
    I purchased rough Leather at a Tandy store. I cut the strip just wider than the wheel so there is no harsh edge to scratch the cabochon. I used rubber cement to hold the leather in place. You need to really get it on good and hold it in place while the glue drives. I put the (suede) soft side of the leather to the outside to hold the polish.
   The cabochons in the picture are reflecting the light bulb filament and you can read the writing on the lamp housing. First cabochon is Willow Creek orbs and the second is a piece of very fickle petrified wood. Picture is to show the nice polish you get.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:32 PM »

That's a great use for the old hard wheels!  I'm going to use this idea.  Those cabs are beautiful!
Robin

ileney

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 04:59:53 AM »

Yowza. Great idea! I’ll give it a try.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 08:03:20 AM »

That's a good looking seam where the leather ends meet. Do you prepare the leather strips in any way before putting them on the wheels? Soaking and drying or pre-stretching - anything like that? Wondering about shrinkage during use.

That really is a great idea. Thanks for posting it.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »

If you sew the leather into a circle slightly larger than the wheel before putting it on, then getting it wet and slipping it on, it will shrink to a very tight fit.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 56 queries.