Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No idea  (Read 1129 times)

lflock

No idea
« on: April 10, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

Any ideas what this is? Harder than 5. Stone doesn't show much of the inclusions dry, but wet, WOW!number 2 dry.JPG
*number 2 dry.JPG (401.63 kB . 1341x1404 - viewed 301 times)bag O 2 wet in sun stone 2 other side.JPG
*bag O 2 wet in sun stone 2 other side.JPG (408.2 kB . 1479x933 - viewed 348 times) Thanks in advance.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: No idea
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:21:03 PM »

Tell us about it, just in case the photos doesn't highlight what it is that you are seeing.  Where, and what colors?
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »

It looks like a seam of Sagenite Agate.  Can you shine a light thru it, it will look like a bunch of colored needles.

lflock

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »

Irockhound, light barely passes through, lots of needle-like inclusions -some of which are pinkish- unlike traditional sagenite which is foliage like and brownish. All my stones are from Central Mexico peruano, if that is what you are asking. Colors I see are bluish, pink, and white. Probably could see better if I had a stronger loupe.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »

Color is not the deciding factor. Although the most common colors in Sagenite tend to be the tans - browns they can also be found in a wide variety of other colors from Yellow. Red, Pink and even Purple.  It may be another material, if it is someone on this board will probably know it.  The short needle like inclusions to me are most often Sagenite. The material definitely has a milkiness to it and if the needles are dense enough that would cut the amount of light.  I did notice on your picture that shows the needles best that the left side there is what appears to be a layered effect to your stone which isn't a common feature in agates but is more common in other types of material.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 35 queries.