Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some copper ores  (Read 1166 times)

VegasJames

Some copper ores
« on: November 03, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Some copper ores
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:28:06 AM »

Beautiful!  You keep putting pictures of these copper ores up and I keep drooling!   :drool:

Thanks!

Robin

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:24 AM »

Hi James:

Your C/O rough is very interesting.  How do you pre-form and cab the material?  Do you use any steel diamond wheels, or nova's, or expandos with S/C belts?  I have some of these C/O pieces myself, and I have never took the time to figure out what works best.  What do you use for a polish, if any?  I live in AZ and C/O is rather plentiful around here.  Keep up your posts, please.  I find them to be extremely interesting and they give me new ideas!  Thanks!

mike

VegasJames

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:27 PM »

Hi James:

Your C/O rough is very interesting.  How do you pre-form and cab the material?  Do you use any steel diamond wheels, or nova's, or expandos with S/C belts?  I have some of these C/O pieces myself, and I have never took the time to figure out what works best.  What do you use for a polish, if any?  I live in AZ and C/O is rather plentiful around here.  Keep up your posts, please.  I find them to be extremely interesting and they give me new ideas!  Thanks!

mike

The material has a lot of dolomite and some calcite in the matrix along with quartz, limonite and of course the copper minerals. So it is not hard like jasper. I cut the copper ore with water using a slab saw, tile saw or trim saw depending on the size of the rough. I don't like to use oil with softer stones. If silicated chrysocolla then I usually cut with oil.

A lot of the pieces, especially end cuts I do not pre-form, I just free-form the pieces grinding away any too thin or otherwise bad areas then deciding the best shape to maximize the stone. For slabs I have templates that I draw my pattern with then use the trim saw with water to cut.

The cabbing machine is an old Genie with NOVA wheels, although I have belts I refurbish the wheels with when needed. Some of the material takes a really nice polish just using the cabbing machine wheels. If not then I buff them with a little Zam. Going to experiment with some other ideas to get a higher polish such as finishing up in a vibratory tumbler .

Greg Hiller

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:29 AM »

I found some very similar material not far from Reno.  I was able to cut it into a few cabs.  Took an okay polish.
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

VegasJames

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:25:25 PM »

I found some very similar material not far from Reno.  I was able to cut it into a few cabs.  Took an okay polish.

I have not checked out the copper mines near Reno yet. There is one near Pyramid Lake I read about years ago and wanted to go look for specimens. Cannot recall the name of the mine.

Used to spend a lot of time at the mines in Virginia City down in 6 mile Canyon.  Went back recently after not being up there in over 25 years and it has changed so much. The road is paved now, the trees matured and I cannot find my favorite mine anymore that I collected silver clay from.

Found some small specks of what looked like turquoise in the rocks atop Slide Mountain when I was a little kid. Spent my summers in Reno on the Callahan Ranch so spent a lot of time hiking the mountains around there. The area used to be considered the Mineral Capital of the World in the old days when it was known as Ormbsy County, but I never found anything too exiting up there.

The best collecting is between Beatty and Fernley.

Just found some silicated copper ore near Coaldale Junction a few days ago coming back from Reno.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »

Thanks James about how you cut, sand and polish C/O slabs.  The ones I have are like yours, no elemental copper in them, just the tell tale blue streaking permeating through the stone. The configuration of how the blue silicate slips through the matrix kind of reminds me of boulder opal and how it threads through the stone. 

Michael

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »

Do you stabilize your rough before cutting, etc?  Thanks James. 

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »

Do you stabilize your rough before cutting, etc?  Thanks James.

No, I have never had to stabilize any of it. There are occasional cracks since it was blasted out. But if it breaks I can still cab the broken pieces. And the material is hard enough to cab and polish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.