Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician  (Read 1812 times)

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
Musician
« on: December 05, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »

I play in a band in Wilmington NC. I have combined my passion for music with my love of minerals and make guitar picks from various minerals.

I sell them locally and gift them to other musicians I meet along the way. I have a very newbie operation but I enjoy the hobby and producing what I call "Picks of Destiny".

I took some time off from the hobby but I am gearing up to make more during the winter when the music scene is quiet.

100_9278.JPG
*100_9278.JPG (875.26 kB . 2304x1728 - viewed 357 times)

Sapphireminer

Re: Musician
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »

Well done IlmSteve you have done nice work there some choice pieces of stone as well

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »

Well done IlmSteve you have done nice work there some choice pieces of stone as well
i agree...well done

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »

Those are lovely!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:38:44 AM »

which stone is more resilient to the strings?
How thick?

I have a couple riends hounding me to make a few.

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »

which stone is more resilient to the strings?
How thick?

I have a couple riends hounding me to make a few.

In my experience, jasper is the most resilient. Fewer fractures and a Mohs hardness of 7 seem to provide a nice "sharp" tone on the strings. Plastic/Nylon picks are duller sounding. On the negative side, the "stone" picks tend to be noisier than a plastic pick when they pass along a string. Also, they can also be slippery when wet from sweat. I am working on trying some transparent material that can be applied to increase friction in the finger contact area. Some guitar players love them and some hate them.

For their look, they are unlike anything around. Pick collectors love them and they make great gifts for guitar playing family and friends.

The best material I have found is either Quartz or Rose Amethyst. They can make an acoustic guitar sound wonderful but they tend to have fractures which means, of course, that they can break with too much finger pressure.

For guitar players, I shoot for a thickness between 1.8 - 2.5mm thick. Plastic picks are really thin (about .68mm for a medium pick) so the thicker picks can take a little getting used to.

For bass guitar, anywhere from 2 - 3.5. I have produced some for bass that are 4.5mm at the top but I taper them to 2.5mm at the tip.

Edges can be either fairly sharp or rounded. Shapes can vary from tear drop to a wide offset to just a standard size, depending in the player's preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions. People have been very helpful to me here so I want to return the favor.

I tend to put a fairly sharp point on mine and I tell people they shouldn't "windmill" like Pete Townsend of The Who while playing their $5000 guitar because they can easily damage the wood. Used properly, they will last a very long time. 

Sapphireminer

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 10:35:22 PM »

Hi ILMSteve here is  photo of 4 mini slabs the smallest 45mm x 35mm and largest 75mm x 55mm one is super slim 1.3mm rest about 2.4mm if you like them I will stick them in the post to you.
Dave

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:49:56 AM »

Awesome! Definitely can make them into picks! PM sent! Thank you so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 42 queries.