Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saftey Warning... Look up in mountians and use good hearing  (Read 3084 times)

Glenn

• Going to the more remote places to find gems
    • Glenn's Lapidary
Saftey Warning... Look up in mountians and use good hearing
« on: November 10, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »

This is over 2000 lbs easily, about 1/4 the size of a car or larger, that we slid as it was highly unstable and we were going to be working below (if you look carefully you can see where we were working about 5 ft below.. it was on the edge of rolling and we thought it was better to safely make it go down than have us under it and come down while we were working. Just for note it took us 30-45 min to hike down that distance.. at least 1/4 mile to where the video stopped... if not more. Filmed by my friend. Please note that we could visibly see all the way down and had another person across the bowl as a spotter... This area is soo remote that there is noone around which also means no phones... satellite phones have trouble working as well.

Be sure to stay safe in in the mountains.. I have seen a few uncontrolled large rocks come down this year from a safe distance. Some pf them even took part of the mountain with them. Even the smaller rocks seen here (still larger than your head) will hurt and break stuff! Actually the 1 square inch rocks are painful. On all the trips I do in these mountains I usually get hit by the pesky 1 square inch rocks (on my legs).. It doesn't hurt for more than a minute though.. I just look for the large ones coming down. Also take note ones like this can come down by people just climbing up.

So short of the matter stay safe. If you have to let one go down make sure you know no one is below it and enjoy the experience as it is a scary reminder (which is why we have a few choice words).   

Towards the end of the video you can compare my head to the smaller rocks around... which are not so small.
https://youtu.be/9zAibBlrNTs

If theres a way to make videos auto appear i'm not seeing the button

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
Re: Saftey Warning... Look up in mountians and use good hearing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »

I should also mention that some of our mountians are more unstable than the mountian seen on the Prospectors TV show... I wish I could find some actual gems though

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »

Part of being safe in the mountains is being good and part is being lucky. I remember  a night in the mountains when we had a 5.0 earthquake at about one in the morning . The rockfall did not stop until after dawn. I often thought of that night years later when under a nasty spot. If you love the mountains the risk is well worth it and using very good judgement is smart but in the end  a little luck is involved. You are bringing back great memories, thanks.

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »

Part of being safe in the mountains is being good and part is being lucky. I remember  a night in the mountains when we had a 5.0 earthquake at about one in the morning . The rockfall did not stop until after dawn. I often thought of that night years later when under a nasty spot. If you love the mountains the risk is well worth it and using very good judgement is smart but in the end  a little luck is involved. You are bringing back great memories, thanks.

Yeah, luck comes into play a bit. An earthquake is our largest fear apart from breaking down or getting seriously stuck with out atv... and having the river come up and trap us.. and enough snow so we can't atv back up the mountian we need to go over to get out. The more I think of it the more worries I can think of :P

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »

I freak now when I go way back in on funky logging roads as I can't walk more than 3 or 4 miles in a pinch on the crutches and at times we are 20 miles in . I have seen roads erode away here in one massive rain and trees coming down across the road is a constant hazard. Down here if your truck gets stuck in the back country because the snow trapped you the thing is usually stripped by people on snow machines within a week. What I fear most is someone trashing my truck while I am out in the woods . When I was a climber trashing someones vehicle at a remote trail head was considered a shooting offense.

Glenn

• Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »

I freak now when I go way back in on funky logging roads as I can't walk more than 3 or 4 miles in a pinch on the crutches and at times we are 20 miles in . I have seen roads erode away here in one massive rain and trees coming down across the road is a constant hazard. Down here if your truck gets stuck in the back country because the snow trapped you the thing is usually stripped by people on snow machines within a week. What I fear most is someone trashing my truck while I am out in the woods . When I was a climber trashing someones vehicle at a remote trail head was considered a shooting offense.

Yeah, we don't have to worry much about people trashing our camp site or rides. Its sad what some people will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 35 queries.