Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: fire agate rough  (Read 6986 times)

montanajohn

fire agate rough
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:16:39 AM »

:blob1:Does anyone know if there are still fire agates to be found in the Arizona Deer Creek/Black Hills/Round Mountain (or other) digs?  I am planning a trip this winter and can always stop at Tuscon to buy more but would a whole lot rather find them/dig them.
  If any of you fellow addicts are up this way next summer let me show you some Montana agate country.

Slabbercabber

Re: fire agate rough
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »

We have visited the Black Hills collecting area many times over the years.  It seems the more times we go the easier it is to find great material.  On one occasion the state had plowed a large area exposing hundreds of pounds of new material to the surface.  Be sure to look anywhere that the surface has been disturbed.  A digging fork can also he helpful.

montanajohn

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »

Thank you very much for your help.  If you are down that way mid-late January and see a Montana pickup/camper please stop by and visit.  I am excited about the trip.  Fire Agates!!!

jerrysg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:53:25 PM »

We were at Round Mountain earlier this year on a club field trip and did find some stuff. The majority of the folks stopped at a parking area but our quartet continued around the loop.  Best and worst time to go is after a good rain. More stuff exposed but road gets torn up. Good high clearance/4wd vehicle best. Better material is found the further from the road you go.

Jerry

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

man that round mountain materials are nice when you find a honey hole (good spot) that hasnt been picked over by everyone.
I have some old stock from the 80's i was given, VERY very good stuff.

montanajohn

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 06:40:57 PM »

Thanks for the help guys.  If you're up my way I'll return the favor
John

ChristopherAnthony

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:57:10 PM »

David Penney offers a fee dig at his Deer Creek Dig in late February/March. It runs about $1400 an hour

Orrum

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:26:26 AM »

Well if a hundred people go it's $10 each right?

Glenn

• Going to the more remote places to find gems
    • Glenn's Lapidary
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »

I have a friend that went down in fire agate area to a place that has been reported picked clean... its all picked over... if you can see it from your car.  Walk a few miles 1 direction, you will find stuff.

montanajohn

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:43:33 AM »

Thanks.  That is the case with all of it these days, more people and fewer rocks.  As long as we know there is a chance of finding something worthwhile, the walk seems short

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »

Thanks.  That is the case with all of it these days, more people and fewer rocks.  As long as we know there is a chance of finding something worthwhile, the walk seems short
mountain bike!!
just wear some snake proof leggings lol!

montanajohn

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 06:40:47 PM »

Snakeproof indeed, my dog required an after snakebite shot last year, 850$.  Where there's rocks, there's snakes

jerrysg

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

We had our dog rattlesnake avoidance trained at the local kennel.  Cost $60 with periodic $30 retest/retrain cost.  Dog has successfully herded me away from a wild bungee cord in a parking lot.  Could have been tragic if that bungee cord had attacked.

See now it was very cost effective.

Sorry about the pain the dog had to go through!

Jerry

montanajohn

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 04:38:02 PM »

Cool!  This dog was supposed to be helping move cows but elected to chase a rabbit into a rock pile (agates?) where a rattlesnake lived. I'll try him out on a bungy

fossilman

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »

Snakeproof indeed, my dog required an after snakebite shot last year, 850$.  Where there's rocks, there's snakes

Many of those critters around the fossil sites south of Glendive and east of Melstone area....I see them a lot!!
Most of the time I walk away or around them,a few times,I had to kill them,but very few!
God,family and life!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 51 queries.