Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: alexandrite n.1.50g n.7carat  (Read 3471 times)

chryoberylli alexandrite

alexandrite n.1.50g n.7carat
« on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:54 PM »

chrysoberylli alexandrite suomi ruovesi

Debbie K

Re: alexandrite n.1.50g n.7carat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

I love phenomenal stones; I like the yellow to green shift chrysoberyl, also. I'll try to find my alexanderite and take pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Google translate to Finnish:

Rakastan ilmiömäisiä kiviä; Pidän myös keltaisesta vihreään siirtymään chrysoberyl, myös. Yritän löytää alexanderiteni ja ottaa kuvia myös.

Kiitos jakamisesta!

Debbie K

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »

I love phenomenal stones; I like the yellow to green shift chrysoberyl, also. I'll try to find my alexanderite and take pictures, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Debbie K

Have you tried photographing color-change stones?  I've found it to be quite a challenge for reasons I'll explain if anyone's interested. 

Here are some shots of some of my Alexandrites made in daylight fluorescent and incandescent light:

Alex #10.jpg
*Alex #10.jpg (60.33 kB . 400x351 - viewed 766 times)

.83 cat's-eye alex.JPG
*.83 cat's-eye alex.JPG (13.91 kB . 300x195 - viewed 647 times)

Alex #25.jpg
*Alex #25.jpg (48.12 kB . 600x215 - viewed 589 times)

Test.JPG
*Test.JPG (16.48 kB . 400x142 - viewed 669 times)

I'm also fascinated by color-change garnets.  Here are shots of a few of mine:

CC .41 Rd.JPG
*CC .41 Rd.JPG (33.77 kB . 658x323 - viewed 682 times)

CC .53 Day - 2 copy.jpg
*CC .53 Day - 2 copy.jpg (25.13 kB . 250x174 - viewed 644 times)

Debbie K

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:29 PM »

Gorgeous eyecandy! I wish I could afford those garnets, they're beautiful!

I only have my lowly chrysoberyl and some alexanderite rough and synthetics. I also love all the stars of all types. My friend has a collection of outstanding cat's eye tourmaline, they look like Christmas candy!

Debbie K

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:06 AM »

I have eye envy!  Those are amazing!   :Worthy:
Robin

ileney

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »

I too like your color change garnets even more. They are so lovely!

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 03:58:04 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.  Yes, I also tend to prefer CC garnets over alexandrite, which in my opinion isn't all that spectacular a gem.  It was probably a huge sensation at the time of its discovery -- before the invention of the light bulb -- when fine ladies showed off the color change in gas or candlelight then sported a different color in daylight.  But the scarcity and price of high-end material has relegated it to rich collector status.  My stones are from a recent discovery in India and they're quite small -- as most alex's on today's market are.

Recognition of color-change garnets is a fairly recent development though they've been around, unpublicized, forever.  To my knowledge they're found primarily in east Africa, Madagascar and India.  My material comes from Tanzania and most of the stones I posted are quite small, a carat or so.  One is several carats and very nice.

Some Indian garnets have what's called the "alexandrite" color-change: reddish to greenish.  But most African stones seem to show unpredictable colors depending on the light.  Some I have show at 3 different hues in daylight, mixed daylight/incandescent and incandescent.  For some reason gemologists tend to devalue any but the alexandrite colors.

Many people are disappointed when they see CC stones in hand.  They expect dramatic color change, not realizing that most lighting situations involve mixed color temperatures and the stones react accordingly.  They seldom see the gems in pure incandescent light or pure mid-day daylight.  The images I posted are representations of pure daylight fluorescent light and incandescent light, which are not typical.  But as a gem geek I find all that stuff fascinating.

crashoveroide

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 02:45:14 AM »

Beautiful Alexandrite Color Changing Stones.... Is this stone Slimier to Garnet?

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »

Crashoveroide, Alexandrite is a variety of the mineral chrysoberyl.  It's much harder than garnet and fine qualities are very rare.

Color-changing garnets (whose color change can sometimes resemble that of Alexandrite but often have their own unique colors) are almost always members of a mixture of garnet species called "pyralspites."  They have primary Pyrope content with a significant amount of both manganese (Spessartine) and ferrous iron (Almandine).   

Felicia

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »

😸🌟😸🤸
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 43 queries.