Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviews of software  (Read 3184 times)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Reviews of software
« on: August 10, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »

Well, my site is over 10 years old and the software doesn't even work anymore.   I absolutely must update/upgrade it.   I created it with Dreamweaver, which is wonderful, but soooo expensive.   I have been looking for something comparable, preferably not limited to cut and paste.   I was considering Coffee Cup html.    Does anyone have any experience with that?   Is there anything that anyone would suggest?    Please inform!!!   And thanks.   8)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Reviews of software
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »

My Husband and I have both used WordPress.  I've used it at work and he used it for a webpage.

It's Freeware.

http://wordpress.org/

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »

How old is your version of Dreamweaver?  If it's not too old, you can probably find an upgrade online to CS6.  I found the full DW software at a couple of places for around $250.  Upgrades to CS6 were running between $125-$150.  That's not too bad.  Unfortunately, it looks like Adobe has done walked in the steps of Microsucks and isn't selling software anymore.  They're licensing it for use with their "Creative Cloud" package.  For DW, it's $19.99/mo. for a year subscription.  Basically, you're paying about the same price to lease it as you would buying CS6, but you get all the upgrades, blah, blah.
Robin

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »

Yeah, I am royally P'd off about the online subscriptions.  Its a forced issue, and I do not like being forced.   My DW is probably over 10 years old so there will be no upgrading.   >:(   I've talked to them and they really don't have any options that I want to work within.   I do have their Photoshop cs6, and I love it.   
I've never tried Wordpress, but as I understand it, isn't it mostly a template program?   Seems that Coffee Cup is more like DW, what with the written code and all...

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 06:19:02 PM »

The guy in our office who did the old architectural firm's website used coffee cup. Seemed to work okay.

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:53:38 PM »

Their has been a new change in coding for html5 which incorporates CSS more fully when coding. This new coding system does away with a lot of the tables and windows html4 and older coding relied on.  It has to do with the concept of mobile browser now and website being browsed on small screens and tablets. These old codes wreak havoc on the website and the end user has a terrible experience and does not return to your site.

Enchantra is right. Wordpress is free and actually used a lot more than more normal folks know. Its not just a blogging software. I also use it and am extremely well versed in modding and coding it. As well as recreating CSS designs. It is a great resource, very stable and secure. You just won't get the same table type coding with it when it comes to design. But there are 100000's of templates out there. If you read up on HTML5 and CSS the template control becomes extremely organic like using DW.

Dreamweaver CS6 is a lot different than what you may be used to. Because of CSS and HTML5. But I pay for the subscription myself. As I do web development for a lot of folks and its very useful for coding.

I actually had to learn HTML5 and CSS using notepad++ Which looks like coffee cup. Not sure as I have never used it. But notepad++ was 100% coding and not visual editor/preview. notepad ++ is 100% free amd has a lot of plugins for certain applications.
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Its been a while since this thread was going. I am curious of what you ended up and and how you are using it.
~Shain

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 33 queries.