Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aussie stone fish  (Read 391 times)

auscarver

Aussie stone fish
« on: June 24, 2023, 11:44:06 PM »

It’s been 1 1/2 years since I started this fish and it was about time I finished it. Jade takes so long when I only have a few hours to do carving each week. I will push myself a bit harder as I want to enter in a small sculpture exabition late July. I think I need to replace then white opal eyes with another colour gem. It’s Aussie nephrite jade.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Aussie stone fish
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 06:53:28 AM »

patience is a virtue, it shows in your piece. Very very nice!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »

:WHOAL: :WHOAR:

auscarver

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 02:38:55 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I need to make a stand to show it properly. Timber or metal or a combination of both. My dagger I made back in 2014 I made a polished stainless stand.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 07:36:21 AM »

Both pieces are stunning. keep up the great work.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 06:37:56 PM »

Timber or metal, the stand could include some wavy patterns... I would even consider glass or laser-cut acrylic. This fish deserves a nice environment!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 10:51:31 PM »

I have a question.  Although I am a Product Designer by training and spent years doing it before retiring I have a certain issue of carving stone.  In working with the various materials as a designer it was easy to have a variety of tools that allowed me to get complex curves done without waves or ripples.  I have no problem with almost any lapidary effort I have tried and feel I am very good at those and then comes carving, ah the death of my pride.  I have found that the harder the material seems the tools available to work it diminishes.  What I find is that in working certain tight radii or a long curving surface I have a problem not developing a certain amount of said waves or ripples.  Depending on the length of the piece being worked and having limited movement on some equipment that seems to add to the issue.  A good example is the scales of a knife are mostly easy with changes to the grinding unit like removing wheels for freedom of movement.  But then enter the finger grooves on the belly and having a Titan grinder lol.  I have found the 1" Chinese grinding wheel at Harbor freight works great but at maybe 80 grit leaves a lot of finished work and hell if you hit the knife spine.  So then it is dremel or foredom time.  I find it would be SO nice if I could even find a 1" version of a nova wheel that would greatly diminish these ripples.  Short of that wheel I can but tons of 100 to 600 diamond burrs/points but these are mostly very small and that really is what causes the surface irregularities from my view.  How on earth do you keep such consistent surfaces?  I assume you could make wooden blocks and Silicon Carbide or Diamond paste the surfaces.  Does anyone make an advanced set of nova like wheels in small sizes?  Best I have found and they are limited are the diamond pacific nova points and i think the large cylinder or bullets are about 3/8ths.  I have always been in awe of carvers on this forum and elsewhere for being able to master these surface challenges.

auscarver

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 02:51:28 AM »

Thanks for the ideas about the stand. Irockhound. Hand carbide sticks are the answer to smooth curves. I custom cut these in many sizes from 120 grit to 1200. I rough carve with my foredom than smooth with carbide sticks to smooth out all those bumps. A hand polish on diamond or carbide is much better than any high speed tool. See carbide sticks in my attached picture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 41 queries.