Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some advice on carving gem serpentine?  (Read 2103 times)

Talusman

Some advice on carving gem serpentine?
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:44:29 PM »

Hi all,

I'd like to try carving - I have some gem serpentine from a classic locality here in PA. I figure I'll start with a slab/preform and carve out a design, then sand a polish. My question is, what tools to use? A handheld rotary? fixed rotary? Do I need burrs in all the sanding/polishing stages? I'd never really considered carving but some of the pieces here are so nice! Thanks for any advice, or links to an existing thread if there is one.

Some photos of my material - as well as one of a Jadeite pendant I inherited from my grandmother many years ago - that's the style of carving I'd like to try.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Some advice on carving gem serpentine?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:00:25 AM »

Everyone does things a bit different, but here are my tools. http://brilliantchallenge.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15234742
Anything not given, is lost.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »

Serpentine is soft and easy to carve. Go by harbor freight and get you a set of diamond burrs. I wouldn't invest a lot of money intill you can decide how involved you want to get.
You won't be able to get the intricate carving that is like the jade you posted a picture of. The serpentine will chip and break. Jade is used for carvings like that because it is felted and is harder to break. Good luck and have fun doing it

Talusman

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »

Thanks for the tip on cheap diamond burs. I ordered a set online for $3.60 with free shipping (how do they do that???)

I sliced a thin slab from the end cut and will start on that - maybe try a feather or something. It's a nice semi-transparent bottle green. One of the nice things about this material is it doesn't flake or splinter - cuts very nicely. Here's a link to a carving that was done from similar material from this locality (not mine!).

http://www.gemdat.org/photo-5895.html

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »

That's a pretty cool carving. You can see where the carver left the edges thick to avoid breaking. Go for if it's great fun. Start simple, a feather would be good. I would like a big piece of that to make a sphere out of

domdeslagons

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »

The best it to try!
You can also begin with bones or shell, it is a little easier as it won't brake like stone. And then the more you try the better you are! :glasses9:
I also use some cheap diamond tools I find on ebay (THK ) and I found them good value, I began with a dremel and now have also a little micro motor for very fine carving.
Some of my last work. Round on is a mother of pearl with giant clam in the middle. The other 2 are made on Troca shell.
Have fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 37 queries.