Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slab saw oil  (Read 2556 times)

Downwindtracker2

Re: Slab saw oil
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »

For my wife's saws we picked up some pails of Stella at Quartzite. That mineral oil is kind of nice, orange scented no less. For food grade mineral oil they use vitamin E as a stabilizer. Stella had that in it as well. For the clubs saws we picked  up four pails of bulk from a local rock shop. He had bought a barrel. It was cheaper than buying pails of food grade mineral oil from oil distributor. 

gunsil

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »

I use used ATF transmission oil in my 14" Highland Park saw, seems to work just fine. I was a Porsche mechanic now retired but I saved a lot of it when I was working. Stuff I got was pretty fresh, drained out for warranty work on low mileage cars. Don't used old ATF from a burned out automatic trans, it stinks and it's viscosity has been compromised. I do use veterinarian grade mineral oil in my 10" saws and have a stash of old pella oil I got with my 18" saw and I use it in that saw but it is stinky and irritates the skin if overexposed to it.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 09:52:34 AM »

I don't know about ATF, but as millwright I have been exposed to hydraulic oil over the years. Some guys have gotten rashes from it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 31 queries.