Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A FEW NEW CABS  (Read 1326 times)

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
A FEW NEW CABS
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:59:18 PM »

I've been busy with other stuff lately and haven't had much time for cab work.  I thought I'd post a few new ones that I finished up this week.

Crown of Silver Psilomelane is one of my favorite cutting materials and I recently added quite a few new slabs to my hoard.  The cabs below are the first I've cut from the new material.  Those in the second image are a little different than others I've cut in the past.  One in particular shows the psilomelane contrasted against a matrix of what I've been told is reddish-brown manganese oxide.  I think it's kind of a neat look.

The other cabs in order are Sugilite, Cherry Creek Whatever-it-is and Marra Mamba Tiger's-Eye.  Thanks for taking a look.

005 (375x281).jpg
*005 (375x281).jpg (84.79 kB . 375x281 - viewed 324 times)
006 (375x297).jpg
*006 (375x297).jpg (82.96 kB . 375x297 - viewed 313 times)
008 (375x296).jpg
*008 (375x296).jpg (81.69 kB . 375x296 - viewed 295 times)
009 (375x321).jpg
*009 (375x321).jpg (101.92 kB . 375x321 - viewed 316 times)
011 (375x279).jpg
*011 (375x279).jpg (85.04 kB . 375x279 - viewed 330 times)

Slabbercabber

Re: A FEW NEW CABS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »

You have to love Crown of Silver.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »

I like "the purple one". Have a soft spot in my heart - or head - for that stuff.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:24:32 PM »

Ooooh!  Can't pick a favorite.  I love them all!   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Pusscat

• Peter
    • Petros Rocks
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 10:08:11 AM »

The Cherry Creek and the Tigers Eye have some beautiful colours in them. Lovely finish too...

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »

Nice stone Rick.  Didn't know you had a love of Crown of Silver, it is easy to have a love/hate relationship with the beautiful messy material.  The Sugelite cab is a nice shape and even color.  Grats as always, I want to get into the garage and cut some of the new material I collected but it's so bloody hot out there right now.  I think out of all the stones the top right CoS is my fave.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I'm a sugilite fan.  I was in Tucson the year it was introduced back in the early 80s as I recall.  I remember the dealer standing on a boulder of gem-grade material that probably weighed close to a ton.  I'm now cutting out the small amount of good material I was able to afford back then.  These days prime material is very scarce -- and expensive.

Yes, Crown of Silver psilomelane is messy to cut but it's worth it IMO.  It's not nearly as messy as boulder opal or Nipomo marcasite in agate though.  None of them are too messy for me when there's a chance of finding a prize at the end.

MurphyStone

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »

Could you share your final polishing methods for the sugilite and cherry creek.  I continue to try an improve my polish on those two materials. 

Thanks

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:28:57 AM »

Could you share your final polishing methods for the sugilite and cherry creek.  I continue to try an improve my polish on those two materials. 

Thanks
With Cherry Creek I simply sand/polish through 8K Nova, then kiss it with Zam on a muslin buff.  It takes a little better than an egg-shell polish that way.

Sugilite's tough to polish.  My method uses Holy Cow! polish on a buff I got from Hi Tech.  I think they called it a Final Polishing Pad but it was different than the ones of the same name now being offered.  It's a tough synthetic material that was said to be impregnated with diamond, or so I remember. 

Unfortunately, Holy Cow! polish is no longer available.  I'm hoarding the small amount I still have because I have quite a bit of sugilite that needs finishing.  Hopefully someone will start making it again.

MurphyStone

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

Thanks
With Cherry Creek I simply sand/polish through 8K Nova, then kiss it with Zam on a muslin buff.  It takes a little better than an egg-shell polish that way.

Sugilite's tough to polish.  My method uses Holy Cow! polish on a buff I got from Hi Tech.  I think they called it a Final Polishing Pad but it was different than the ones of the same name now being offered.  It's a tough synthetic material that was said to be impregnated with diamond, or so I remember. 

Unfortunately, Holy Cow! polish is no longer available.  I'm hoarding the small amount I still have because I have quite a bit of sugilite that needs finishing.  Hopefully someone will start making it again.

Thanks for sharing. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 47 queries.