Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: it's green, please help ID  (Read 796 times)

55fossil

it's green, please help ID
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »

Yard sale purchase, thought it was going to be great....  It is hard like agate and cuts like it. But it falls apart in the saw like many opals or some Jade. Several shades of green with white mottling and stringers running through the rough. Probably from the northwest USA but.... I have not tried to polish it as I really got disappointed as it broke apart. Any ideas????  There are some translucent areas but at 1/4 inch slab it is almost opaque. This was the best slab I got but it will probably break further apart. One x one inch is about the largest piece I can get.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: it's green, please help ID
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »

Possibly the fractured yellow serpentine being sold  that is mined from eastern Washington.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:15:50 PM »

Looks like Alaska jade.

southerly

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:46:15 PM »

Serpentine would be my first guess for the pic, then opal. If it does not test for either of those who knows.

David

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:52:35 PM »

I have some serpentine apparently identical to this.  It does work up nicely.  I suspect it is from Mexico. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »

thanks all...  I would lean towards it being Serpentine from the hardness and other visible features. so pretty, so fractured
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 37 queries.