Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Faberge  (Read 577 times)

Eddie P

After Faberge
« on: March 20, 2023, 01:08:10 PM »

I didn't make this but it is so nice I thought it was worth showing to you guys.  This was sold at auction last week in Chicago for $50,000 hammer price.  It is by Cartier circa 1925, almost certainly employing workmen from the former Faberge workshop.  Rock crystal, moonstone (feldspar) and what looks to me nephrite though catalogued as aventurine quartz. Height 5 and 1/2 inches out of case. The kind of lapidary object I dream of owning.

Eddie P

Re: After Faberge
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 01:12:32 PM »

one more.  The 'glass' is carved from a single piece of rock crystal/clear quartz.  The stem probably gold-plated brass, now a bit rubbed.

Eddie P

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 01:14:10 PM »

And another

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 05:17:18 PM »

Wow. I seriously thought the "water" was really just water until seeing the last photo.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 07:32:32 PM »

Awesome post.... I think it looks like Jade too.
     I am in the process of working up a 50 pound piece of Aventurine. Part of it is the sparkly green seen a lot but it works into some translucent green that mimics jade. I have started several cabochons and will try and post some pictures soon....  Then I will try and find some of my Nephrite Jade that mimics the color of the translucent green Aventurine. 

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 06:35:05 PM »

Seems I am working on a piece of Amazonite, not Aventurine.  I will post some pictures, hopefully tomorrow.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 07:45:50 PM »

Excellent post indeed. Thank you for sharing!

I did go down the Fabergé rabbit hole a few years back - endless youtube lectures from historians and art experts, books and documentaries from the public library, whatnot... Really beautiful works, amazing technical execution and innovation, and creative marketing and PR strategies.

AgateLicker

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 08:00:17 PM »

Thank you for sharing! It's so lovely.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:27 PM »

Beautiful!  My friends parents owned a rene lalique carved vase with greek women on the sides.  I loved looking at it.  It got thrown from its china cabinet during the Northridge earthquake and when the wife paid a young kid to clean up after the quake to maximize space in the trash can he took the vase and beat the rest of it to dust with a baseball bat.  375k vase as i remember.  such a pity to have it destroyed by someone who didn't know its significance.  What I always find stunning especially in VERY old jewelry work is the skills that they had with very basic tools.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 08:37:16 PM »

Hope people won't mind me posting an example from Faberge, made some 10-20 years prior to the Cartier creation above: Flower Study of forget-me-nots.

Eddie P

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2023, 10:23:44 AM »

The naturalism, the trompe l'oeil power, of Faberge's flower studies is delightful.  And I am fairly sure the illusion of a solid quartz vase-of-water was his invention. 

Eddie P

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2023, 10:26:09 AM »

Beautiful!  My friends parents owned a rene lalique carved vase with greek women on the sides.  I loved looking at it.  It got thrown from its china cabinet during the Northridge earthquake and when the wife paid a young kid to clean up after the quake to maximize space in the trash can he took the vase and beat the rest of it to dust with a baseball bat.  375k vase as i remember.  such a pity to have it destroyed by someone who didn't know its significance.  What I always find stunning especially in VERY old jewelry work is the skills that they had with very basic tools.
  Wow, that is a scary story.  I hope the insurers paid out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 47 queries.