Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Second opalite and unknown material  (Read 1351 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Second opalite and unknown material
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »

Its been a while,
Keeping so busy with new projects that old ones are not getting finished. The dragons are still begging to finish.  :D  :D  :D
Plus a funeral (father in Law) also kept me from the machines for a while.
So the month has gone by rather quickly.

Both projects in the work right now are WIP, and need a proper polish.
First up Opalite, the second half of the floral arrangement.
We are holding a small challenge on human form on a carving page, so that is a good excuse to go back to one of my favorite experiments.  :D  :D

I quite like the material. What I dont like is the name Opalite. If one googles that name, nothing but the manmade stuff comes up. Is there another name out there for this material that would have a better ring to it?

Second up is an unknown material. Thought of it as Howlite, but howlite does not have that many dendrites. Its not opal, or dendrite opal from turkey, I'm sure of that, but cuts quite like turquoise and in parts has the feel of talk.

Thanks for looking, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Second opalite and unknown material
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:12:22 AM »

Glad to see you are getting back to it after the intrusions of life. could the last material be magnesite?

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:35:32 AM »

You could be on to something. Just found a picture of  Magnesite, Citron Chrysoprase on Google that does seem to have all the characteristics of what I find in my piece. Mine just differs in that it has a lot more dendrites.

Thanks for the tip, I have been asking that question now for two weeks without getting close.......  :LOLOL:

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »

Love both of them!
I agree with Frank on the material for the second one.  It definitely appears to be an Australian Material to me.

Bentiron

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:44 PM »

Both are nice looking, over the years of seeing your work you have made great strides in your ability.
I do hope your   family is adjusting to the lose of your father-in-law, sad times.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »

Sad times yes,  mostly because one never appreciates a person enough during his being here.
Only when they are gone, does it become clear, just how important they where.
It was the first funeral I attended for someone close to me, or my family.

I'm by habit an observer (have always been) and was worried that that habit would make me appear distant or simply cold to others, as I have learned a long time ago, to hide my own emotions, due to the geographical impossibility to interact with my family.
But to my surprise, I got completely swept up in the moment, and the whole experience turned into a very important life-lesson, making me learn and understand some things that I have seen many times before, yet never completely grasped the magnitude of.

My biggest respect goes out for mother in law, 60 years of marriage through wars, insurrections, dictatorship, and a multitude of other personal problems, yet she turns out to be the one who always held this family together. Only now she revealed herself as the pillar of the whole family. After 60 years through good and bad, it is her, who took the heaviest loss, yet she remains the strongest of them all.

The house might have crumbled, yet the pillar stands

By the end of the day, this also lets me appreciate my wife's actions more, as I now know what lies behind them.   :icon_sunny:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.