Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello to all you Rockers!  (Read 1089 times)

Oldtrojan66

Hello to all you Rockers!
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »

I know it’s supposed to be Rockhounds, but I grew up with rock n roll, so I’m an old rocker.
Wifey n I just started this wonderful hobby last winter in Safford, AZ. Since then, much of our collecting seems to revolve around some type of quarts crystals. I have read more than I have learned about micro crystals and macro crystals and other such agate, quartz terms.

We are still very ignorant about what the good stuff looks like in the rough, so I’m sure we’ve passed up some world class gem stones! Haha!
I have done some research, but not enough. We basically grab what catches our eyes when hunting. Any favorite identification site would be welcomed. Don’t really want to buy books, as we are trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible (Right! With your basic cab machine starting at $1200.00!)

Thanks in advance for the help I’m sure is soon to come.

By the way we are (cheap) snowbirds and are in NM, now, headed for Yuma in a couple weeks.

David

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Hello to all you Rockers!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

Welcome from sunny and snowless central AZ!   :icon_sunny:
I can't help with machine suggestions since I don't cab myself.  However if you are heading to Yuma soon I do suggest stopping by Quartzsite on the I-10 and experiencing the gem and mineral show there as you can meet all sorts of rock hounds there who can give you some excellent advice and find some good specimens there too!

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 04:58:26 PM »

welcome from collingwood, ontario

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:01:36 PM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!

Enchantra is correct -- a swing through Quartzsite would give you both a great education on lapidary rough.  If you go during the Pow-Wow, head on over to Tony's booth for the pot-luck he hosts every year and meet gobs of like minded folks who may even know of someone with a used machine for sale or such.  There's also hounding field trips that go on during then (twice a day, maybe?) where you can go out with a group that knows what they're looking for.

Here's the Quartzsite thread:  http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=3985.msg30630#new
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.