Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tying fishing flies soon  (Read 5175 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Re: Tying fishing flies soon
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

hahaha I think I made those before photography was invented. Jeeze, that was way back with my first wife 4/10ths of a century ago.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Minkos61

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »

my email is  daddyseal1@gmail.com

what is your?

minkos61@yahoo.com
Ernie

Bentiron

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 03:54:53 PM »

I could never get into bait or spin casting but fly fishing was my delight. I could almost always catch my limit of trout without much of a problem. Fly fishing is so much fun. :headbang:

Itsandbits

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »

I could never get into bait or spin casting but fly fishing was my delight. I could almost always catch my limit of trout without much of a problem. Fly fishing is so much fun. :headbang:
I think it gives the fish a little more chance too, if you don't present properly or the right pattern they won't take it, and once they're on there is no lure weight to spoil the feel. I use a barbless hook and as light of final line as I feel I can for the size of fish I expect to catch and it is usually rated well under the weight of the fish so if I do something wrong they are gone. I haven't kept a fish for eating in years in spite of living in some of the best trout lake areas of the country; saving some for my grandchildren, that is if my kids quit practicing and have some LOL.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Bentiron

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 04:24:42 PM »

I used to have this really old bamboo fly rod, it was so sweet, I broke the tip on a huge brown trout. I trimmed the top 3" off and it still felt pretty good in my hands so on the next trip I thought that I was far enough away from where the browns hung out but hooked another and there went another 3" off the tip. Luckily there was a spare tip with the rod when I found it on a trip to the landfill, I guess the old man had died and his kids threw out all his fishing gear. I got a tackle box full of lures that I sold for $50 but I kept this rod, had it since I was 16, haven't been able to use it much in the last 20 years with my back. In college in Oklahoma I would use a barbless fly to hook little bluegill to give to the ducks that would follow me around a private lake. These tiny little bluegill would just fly off in midair and the ducks would be running after them like infielders after a popup fly ball, sure was a lot of fun.

Itsandbits

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »

I learned to flyfish after I moved to Pr. George from Vanc. and would practice in my backyard throwing different techniques so that I could handle the rod properly when I got on the water or in a tight spot in a river or creek. Being able to present the fly properly is one of the hardest things to learn and the neighbours must have thought I was nuts LOL but I can still put the fly out there 100ft. and land it like a snowflake coming down and I credit those hours of dryland practice.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

sealdaddy

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »

Wow...y'all are purists!!
I may evolve into that, but years ago at Shasta Lake, I had great success using ultra light spinning tacke, with a small clear tearshaped bobber about 7' before the fly.
The only trick, which I mastered, is knowing how to get the fly to land well ahead of the tiny bobber.
I could use dry, or wet flies (if I put very small split shots about 14" behind it).

Anyone try that?

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

all my rods & reels are rusting away, covered in inches of dust.

I once had nearly 50 rods aging back to the early days, loved my bamboo rods.
Im a spinning reel guy, levelwinds are for fishing from a boat lol!

knowing how to tie an eyelet back onto a rod in the field is money in the bank.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 02:25:58 PM »

all my rods & reels are rusting away, covered in inches of dust.

I once had nearly 50 rods aging back to the early days, loved my bamboo rods.
Im a spinning reel guy, levelwinds are for fishing from a boat lol!

knowing how to tie an eyelet back onto a rod in the field is money in the bank.

I know what you mean. I had 2 old bamboo rods, one a 9 footer and the other an 11 footer, both with top end reels. These were OLD!! While I was away in the military, my dad threw them in the trash because he saw the split rods were separating. He had no idea of value or that they could be rewrapped. He also threw away my old old old hand made wooden lures from the 20's and 30's I had collected. Again, they looked dirty and the hooks were dull.  Sigh.. 
Mom did the same with my old original, some first issue, comic books. "You're grown up now, no need for this foolishness". When I told here she threw away about $10K, all she could say was "I wondered why the garbage man put them in the cab instead of the back". Another sigh... Same goes for my Lionel trains. My nest eggs were all gone by the time I got home. They never questioned why the neighbors used to ask "got anything else???"

So don't throw those old rods and reels out! If you no longer want them, I'm the trash man!!! <Grin>.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 44 queries.