Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Stonemon and his Trent Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 231 times)

Debbie K and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Back

Help please
« on: February 05, 2018, 03:52:43 PM »

Hi All

I now have a reason to get off my but and cut some stones. I need a slice of killer blood stone a 3" x 4" would do it if it is clean. PM me if u got something. I am designing the setting now. If I get this done it will be something I can be proud of :glasses9:

Thanks

Shawn

55fossil

Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »

Please define killer "Bloodstone".   I love to cut the true Bluish jasper with deep Crimson blood spots. Many people think bloodstone is the mottled and multi-color jasper from India, usually with a lot of green. To each his own as they are both excellent to carve.   neal

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:25:22 PM »

Funny how definitions seem to change over time.  Check any major reference book like Schumann's "Gemstones of the World" and Indian green chalcedony (pure green with red splashes) is the classic Bloodstone.  It's increasingly hard to find and most of the so-called Fancy Jasper from India (green with yellow, red and other colors) has now become "Bloodstone" in the popular mind.  This is Bloodstone the way I define it:

Bloodstone Rough Slab.jpg
*Bloodstone Rough Slab.jpg (104.32 kB . 450x346 - viewed 129 times)

Back

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »

Hi Rick

I hope you are doing well. I do agree with the pic as what I think blood stone looks like. For me this is the biggest project I have taken on in many years. Do you ever feel that you know you have the slab for the project but cant find it  :Bash:

I will post on the for sale or trade the detail's

Thanks
Shawn

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »

Shawn, I'd offer you the slab in the image I posted but I've cabbed it already.  I just happened to have an image of how it looked originally.  In my experience that quality is pretty hard to find these days.  But maybe someone here has an old hoard they're willing to part with.   

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »

I saw hundreds of pounds of Indian Bloodstone at Stewart's Gem Shop, Boise, ID a year so ago. It was all different colors and may have had some of what you like. No, they probably will not go out and dig through a thousand pounds of jasper for a $20 sale if you are extremely specific on what you call perfect bloodstone. But they might.

About "what" is considered the perfect colors of bloodstone????  Anyone can write a book, post on the internet and say what is the perfect colors of any stone today. I have found what most people call the perfect colors to be either what they have to sell or what they like best. Same with every top gem stone for sale. Same with fire agate, Original Owyhee picture jasper, etc.   I just say "this is what I like best" and let the experts toss in their two cents worth. Someone has to be right.....  try asking Phil.  He is very close and good friends with Stewart"s and may be able to hook you up. He does have a very good eye for rock.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 03:04:47 PM »

Shawn, FYI here a nice Bloodstone slab at a reasonable price:

http://stoneageindustries.com/bloodstone_premium_slabs.html

Slabbercabber

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »

Shawn, FYI here a nice Bloodstone slab at a reasonable price:

http://stoneageindustries.com/bloodstone_premium_slabs.html

That is exactly what I think of when I think bloodstone.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »

I really enjoy the areas with tiny bright red dots. I may have to check on this myself. I really cannot figure out what you are buying from this site as far as size or weight. Price seems fair, but size matters....

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 10:37:54 PM »

5" inch squares?  Does that mean 2.5" x 2"  That would be way under the size he is looking for.  I thought I had some good material in the garage and although it is nice the dots are only towards the edge of the slab.  I have some large pieces in the rock bins but would have to find them and slab it.  I'll keep my eyes open.

Back

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:07 AM »

Hi All

Thanks for the input. hey 55 I will PM Phil. Yes I need to find the "perfect" slab for this project. For them to find the slab I want I would pay a lot extra.

Bless
Shawn

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »

Is the 3 x 4 an absolute.  I found a couple good slabs going thru material today but they are more like 2.5 x 3 I think.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:57 PM »

I went back thru the slabs and these are okay but after looking at them they do have a fracture running thru.  The largest has a workable area about 3 x 3 3/4 in between the 2 lines but doesn't have as many spots as I would want personally.  Unfortunately the smaller 2 have smaller working area due to the fracture than the size I put which is the whole slab.  Great for cabs but may not have the size you need.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »

There is currently a lot of good looking "bloodstone" on ebay right now. Except they're listing it as green jasper with red dots. You might want to do a search there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 48 queries.