Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrified Forest  (Read 1022 times)

Kaljaia

Petrified Forest
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »

not that one.

Went back into the palisades today, on a chilly and overcast but relatively nice day. It's a few days past the last snow, so the bentonite was get-your-boots-dirty muddy, not gateway-to-the-underworld muddy.
Line of palisades cliffs, all volcanic ash / mudflow in origin. They've weathered down to some nice hoodoos.

Lots of red, tan and black petrified wood from this area. Not all of it is solid, but it looks like it might cut and polish better than some I've found. There's a good amount of really big trunks back in here, much bigger than I can move. It's on BLM, so not going to go muck around with my ATV on the soft dirt. It's enclosed by private property, but we're all still trying to treat it as a miniature national park, a little rockhounding aside, and make sure it stays pretty pristine. I'm sure I've posted pictures of this place before in better light, today it was a heavy dark overcast and snowed for a bit.

A bentonite pit at the bottom of the valley kicks up these brick-red jasper nodules. They have a thin opal skin on them, both common and clear opal. Some of the jasper is orb and plume, and some solid red, I haven't done a ton with the nodules yet but bright red jasper actually isn't that common out here... so saving them for when a mosaic project calls for it.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Stonemon

Re: Petrified Forest
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »

Thanks for the tour Erika.
Snow over here on the river. Bad hounding weather.

Bill

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »

Nice post and superb description of bentonite.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »

Love the photos, the next best thing to being there!

AveIArts

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

Such beautiful land! All the specimens look good to me! The reds are Jasper? Do they cut well? Just wondering....I'm pretty new to all this kind of stuff.
...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.