Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Faceting Books  (Read 4193 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
New Faceting Books
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:45:53 AM »

For those of you who facet or are interested in faceting, there are two new books out to add to your library.

Amateur Gemstone Faceting Volume 1 - The Essentials and
Amateur Gemstone Faceting Volume 2 - Expanding Your Horizons by Tom Herbst.

These are two books totaling approximately 800 pages jam packed with information.  The first volume is for anyone, begiinner and seasoned faceter alike, who is interested in faceting.  It has all the basic information you need to start faceting and then some.  Volume 2 goes more into the math and science of light return, refraction, IR's, etc. and also covers designing your own stones, software to help you design and more.

These 2 books are probably the most complete books on faceting ever written.  They are very readable, with humor and side notes and print big enough to read without going blind.  They are available on Amazon.com.  I bought both volumes and they run about $35.00 USD for both.  The day I bought them, I got them for $33 with Prime Shipping.  These are, in my opinion, an amazing value.

Just wanted to let folks know that these were available.   :toothy10:
Robin

stoneya93

Re: New Faceting Books
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »

Thank you! I was going to post a topic asking what books I should read as a beginner. If anyone has any recommendations. I've finished faceting one stone- a lemon quartz. I don't have my own machine yet, and very infrequent access to one every 3 months at our guild here. I started faceting a fluorite by hand in the mean time cause it's soft enough and I just can't get enough!  :drool: hah.

Any other books you or anyone else would recommend on this subject? I'll definitely consider these. I didn't even know where to start.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:56:42 AM »

Jim Perkins also has a faceting book that you can find here:  http://www.northcoastlapidary.com/?product=learning-to-facet-in-the-21st-century-using-the-facetron

I haven't purchased this one, so can't really say whether it's worth the money or not.

Jeff Graham's "Learn to Facet "The Right Way" is also good.  Jeff passed some years ago, but his books can be found here:  https://www.rockpeddler.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RP-2100
Robin

metalsmith

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 02:52:19 PM »

The Herbst books are good. I've read nearly all of vol1 and it is a little basic, but then I read it to make sure I have the basics covered. Onto vol2 now.
He writes in an entertaining style. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

stoneya93

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »

Awesome, thanks guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.