Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spherulites  (Read 857 times)

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
Spherulites
« on: January 02, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

A friend gave me this interesting piece of rough, but neither of us could come up with an ID.

Wherever it came from, it's a beautiful example of spherulitic growth - it's all in there: the obvious locations of seeds where crystallization started from, and boundaries between the domains. The material feels a bit dry and fragile, with tendency to break along the fibres that radiate from each of the centres. No idea why and how the orbicular staining happened, it is apparently the result of a separate (later?) geochemical process.

A spherulitic rhyolite of some kind? Any ideas?

Felicia

Re: Spherulites
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 02:15:37 PM »

Never saw that one before. Does it react chemically
 in any way? Interesting and attractive specimen.

Shifter55

Re: Spherulites
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 03:27:27 AM »

The staining might be the original christobalites from when the rock was fresh(ish) obsidian? These can form quite quickly as I found out last year to my displeasure. From there you could get a slower second stage of growth from the surface of the sperulite as it provides a nucleation site for the acicular crystals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 30 queries.