Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Sapphire?  (Read 395 times)

WingnutAndAPrayer

Pink Sapphire?
« on: June 16, 2023, 06:24:20 AM »

I found this *somehow* in the debris at the edge of a parking lot here in Bastrop, TX. It's a little under a carat just eyeballing it but scratches a piece of chert. The local rock shop owner is out of state and can't test it; all the jewelers in town refuse. Are there any layman's tests I can use? No good at math so SG is out, haha.

Anyone familiar with looking at corundum gravels? There's no feasible reason it should have been there as TX doesn't host corundum. Pink or otherwise.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Pink Sapphire?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 12:22:24 AM »

Probably wrong person for testing sapphire.  Have you thought about maybe a Rhodolite Garnet?  I believe there are a couple locations in Texas for those.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 10:58:15 AM »

Sounds like a good guess.

WingnutAndAPrayer

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 07:59:05 AM »

Hey, guys-

Sorry about the delay in response. Garnet sounds spot on for both morphology and hardness. I forget, too, that most of the sediments in TX are deposited from further North and this could very well be from CO which has that massive batholith that hosts a million and one garnets.

Thanks again for the input.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 32 queries.