Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help identifying a few pieces and hello all!  (Read 1137 times)

Agateeyes

Need help identifying a few pieces and hello all!
« on: December 12, 2023, 03:29:09 PM »

Good evening everyone.

I’m relatively new to the lapidary world and have been enjoying it immensely thus far.  I’ve read countless threads on this forum and decided to finally ask for help identifying a few pieces.  I’m a long time Lake Superior agate collector, along side my better half, and my expertise is amateur at best outside of this category.  I have recently acquired a few lots of mixed lapidary pieces.  I don’t have any specific locations or information minus what I have researched and gathered so far.  I have attached photos for references, I can add more if needed.  I appreciate your time and consideration in advance, thank you for accepting my forum request and hello to everyone!

Mike

Here are my best guesses for each item:
1. Piranha agate?
2. Plume slab, no idea…
3. Plume slab- possibly graveyard point
4. Faced agate, aqua neuva?
5. Faced agate, sagenite, no clue

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
Re: Need help identifying a few pieces and hello all!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 07:02:36 PM »

1. Condor Agate (Argentina)
2. Stone Canyon jasper?
3. Barrendo Red Hot agate (Mexico)
4. no idea, could be from one of several sources for agate

That's my guess... those are some nice specimens regardless!

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 06:53:24 AM »

4. Could be a Beacon Hill Agate from Idaho.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:12:00 PM »

For number one I don't think Condor as black and clear aren't the norm there but there are other Argentina agates and Brazilians that display the black banding.  Also Texas has some superb black banded agates north of Alpine Texas.

number two is not from the stone canyon deposit but there are many jasper deposits in that region with those colors.  Your piece does not have the needed brecciation to be from stone canyon and although the colors are similar the jasper in your piece tends to have splotches of color rather than the fracturing and recementing that occur in stone canyon due to the earthquake activity.

Your 3rd piece I think I would go with Teeter ranch plume but not a graveyard from my opinion.  Colors are correct from Sheep Creek plume but the plumes are wrong and are more distinct than sheep creek and I haven't come across any stinking water with that tan combo.

The 4th I could agree with the red hot or a couple other Mexican locations.

For the 5th there are way too many locations that this material could be from and no distinguishing features to identify.  But to throw one possibility out there would be a balmorhea, texas and several other west Texas Locales.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 32 queries.