Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opal on abalone shell  (Read 1885 times)

John Robinson

Opal on abalone shell
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »

Well this piece is more that a first draft than a finished piece, but I was wondering what orhers thought about opal on abalone?

The twin opals are like eyes that follow the viewer around. If I can't sell it as a serious piece, I will paint black dots in the centers of the opals and a little mouth below the eyes and try to sell it as a gag gift

IMG_1735.JPG
*IMG_1735.JPG (119.63 kB . 523x600 - viewed 381 times)

Orrum

Re: Opal on abalone shell
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »

How did you grind and polish thevabolone?

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 05:17:02 PM »

Cool. Drill a hole in the opal and set a small black stone for the eye. Take a dremel and carve  the mouth ( use a good dust mask) and drill a hole for a cord and you have a pendant for Halloween

John Robinson

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »

I did not work up the abalone but just bought a parcel on the internet and did not get a very good deal - the photo on eBay did not show that most pieces were too thin to be of any practical use. I wonder why they were polished in the first place(?)

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:26:30 AM »

I think it looks great...and sort of like an angry psychedelic ghosts head. I like that look..well done.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

If you stare at it long enough you will start to hear the voices again   NOOOOooooooooooo!

John Robinson

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »

I think I will get some black fingernail polish and 'paint' some eye holes, a nose and a mouth on, then remove it later with some acetone (?)
Acetone won't damage the stones or shell will it?

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »

Acetone won't damage the stones or shell will it?
Acetone is acidic - not strongly acidic, but you wouldn't want to soak a shell, pearl or other calcium-rich material in it for any length of time. Repeated soakings does eventually dull lustrous surfaces. Probably safe enough for one time.

As an alternative, there are removable, temporary paints available (Rustoleum makes "Peel Coat," though I've only seen that one in a spray) that easily pull off with no solvent needed. There are also some non-staining kid's paints that wash off with plain tap water. Whatever you decide to try, I'd test on a scrap piece of shell before using on your nicely designed jewel.

MonVictorian

• Natures Handprints
  • Minerals & Gemstones Mother Natures Handprints
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »

Look at the fire in those eyes!

My... you certainly are creative!
"In order to be effective, the truth must penetrate, like an arrow, and that is likely to hurt."
"Everything on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure it, and every person a mission.
Animals, like all living things, are conscious beings. Everything is consciousness; everything vibrates and emits a frequency.

John Robinson

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »

I actually prefer the gag version...
???

IMG_1977.JPG
*IMG_1977.JPG (356.28 kB . 601x481 - viewed 245 times)

Quitclayton

• I spelled my own name wrong..bugger.
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:23:26 PM »

THAT is actually the best looking...thingey...I have ever seen and I love it.

It has attitude, it has emotion, it has...the most expensive google-eyes ever created!

It's going to be what all the fashionable ladies are wearing this Halloween...you are setting the stage for google-eyed opals to take over the gem industry. In all seriousness, this is my most favorite creation I've seen so far.

Brilliant!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 47 queries.