Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: malachite ashtrays  (Read 1553 times)

robirdman

malachite ashtrays
« on: August 25, 2019, 10:20:39 AM »

These are from about 40 years ago when Africa stopped exporting rough, and by inverse doming could sell as ashtrays.  I tried inside and outside but still have light glare.  The smaller pieces are about 2.5" on the longer side while the largest is ~5" or 6".  I am considering selling, if there is interest, but not seeing anything comparable to judge value.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: malachite ashtrays
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 01:59:40 PM »

I noticed it had been a while and no one responded yet.  Although several countries have at times imposed the "manufactured rules" the Malachite is quite available today.  At Quartzsite the vendors show up each year with great rough and occasionally the ashtray conversions or just tumbled large pieces.  Prices are normally in the $18. per lb but I have still been able to buy it for around 13 per lb from these dealers if I am buying 10 lbs or more.  Great material with NO crushed Malachite Epoxy filling voids but good solid great orb pieces and some chatoyant pieces too.  That seems to be the going rate at about 18 and if you know what you are doing you can get it cheaper.

robirdman

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 02:32:25 PM »

Thanks.  Seeing on ebay selling by the gram or caret seemed extreme.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:39:58 AM »

Yeah, a couple things wrong with that price model.  First it's not rare or hard to come by and second it is a very heavy stone which would obviously weigh in favor of the seller.  Whenever I see things by the gram like when I saw Bali Agatized coral going by the gram I walk away.  Then I found a dealer in Quartzsite with 55 gallon drums of it who sold it to me for less than $2. a lb.  A lot of times it is just the flavor of the month and if it's popular some jack the prices by going that route.

Sirjess

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »

I would be very interested in buying some to slab up and make some cabochons. Shipping to Canada will be expensive but PM me and we can talk about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 35 queries.