Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver smithing torch and tank kit?  (Read 3528 times)

Bluetangclan

Silver smithing torch and tank kit?
« on: May 12, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »

I am looking at doing pendants, rings and such in silver, kind of to justify making cabs and stuff so it doesn't keep piling up :P After taking a silver class last week and working on getting the basics down, I need my own equipment to work from home. I looked on Rio Grande and found some options. Unfortunately the class was lacking in discussion on different equipment types and was more, "here's your torch, make jump rings, only use copper tongs in the pickle, annnd go." So I am trying to figure out what I need and what will work long term.
https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Smith-Silver-Smith-Acetylene-and-Air-Torch-Kit-with-Tank/500109NW#ReviewHeader

Would this and a #1 or 2 tip suffice for what I need to get going torch wise? I cant tell if the tank is reusable or comes preloaded. I would be surprised if they can ship a full acetylene tank so I would assume it would have to be loaded locally at a welding supply(of which I have no clue where one is) but we all know what happens when one assumes. Any better suggestions or sources?

We did actually discuss pickle and how to use and make it and flux and solder.

Debbie K

Re: Silver smithing torch and tank kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:01 PM »

Or one of these https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Welding-Soldering-Heating-Interchangeable/dp/B00CG80N0G/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1494618701&sr=8-1&keywords=orca+torch. I use it for small jobs, when I have something bigger I use a Bernzamatic with a hose. They don't seem to make the cheap hoses anymore; now they have the built in starters.

Harbor Freight used to carry a little torch that people seemed happy with; it's not on their website anymore but some stores might still have them in stock.

Everyone I know who has the Smith Little Torch is happy with it; I just didn't have that much money to buy one. The Orca works great for me and only requires one tank; it has a Venturi tip and utilizes atmospheric air.

Debbie K

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

I use the same as Rocky, Acetylene/Air but on the tips I also use a 00.  Setup works great no fussing with mixtures, it just works every time.

bobby1

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »

I first learned silver soldering on an air-acetylene unit back during the Indian silver/turquoise era in the 70's and it worked very well for a few years. When I wanted to work in much finer detail  I advanced to the Smith Little Torch and it is what I use for everything except melting casting metal. You can get a setup at your local welder's supply somewhat cheaper than the Rio Grand one. That's where we go when we buy gas and torches for the local junior college jewelry making classroom that our club supports.
Bob

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:52:03 AM »

im cheap.
all i use is my plumbing torch lol!

Bluetangclan

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »

Well I cant go peruse a welding supply shop without taking at least an hour and a half off of work. For some reason they are all on the other side of Orlando from me and travel time is anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Air gas closes at grrr. So I need to know before I get there, thus we order everything offline.

I am sure every supply place has type B bottles. How is this for a kit without a tank? I know about the tips.
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-239-193-Outfit-Silver-Handi-Torch/dp/B01FWK5V2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494687740&sr=8-1&keywords=silver+soldering+torch

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »

One of the best silversmiths I knew of started with propane tanks and advanced to mapp gas.  As far as shipping tanks, they ship them empty and you get to refill just like a propane tank on your grill.  The difference is you will need a welding supply or such.
I use a more complicated system of natural gas and oxygen.  Still uses one tank (oxy) and gas from the city line.  There are 2 things to think about when working at home.  One is ventilation, the other is local codes.  If you took classes at a local club you can ask others how they set up their solder station.
It is a really great thing to get both halves of a finished piece.  First you get to get the best from the stone and then you balance it out with personalized metal work.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »

Just a note:  It's important to make sure you check with your insurance company before you buy your tank.  Some policies have limits on what size tank and type of gas you can have in your house (if you're going to work in your house, of course).
Robin

Bluetangclan

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:20 AM »

I will be in my garage with drive through garage doors open so ventilation should be fine. I have seen the mess I make with my rocks in the garage so think working indoors would be a mistake despite the plus of air conditioning :P.

In the boonies so no gas lines. I have a 55 gallon tank outside the kitchen and that's about it. I think I am going to pick up the last kit I posted and grab the extra tips then go hunt down a B tank this weekend at one of the welding supplies across town when I have time to trek out there.

Jhon P

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »

Check out Craigslist or other local adds. I picked up two B tanks off of Craigslist for $10 each
Between the two I had a full
Tank of fuel

Bluetangclan

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:08 AM »

Good call.

Just on the off chance someone knows it, what is the buffing compound used to get scratches and uneven edges off of silver? We used it in class, its a Something 3 compound. Goes onto buffing wheels in the same manner as zam but will remove metal and polish. Its a reddish brown color.

Jhon P

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:23 AM »

Tripoli than rouge is what I use

Back

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »

Hi All

I dont do much silver work but the Oxy/Propane set up that I bought at rural king works for me. It uses the small size traditional throw away tanks. I think it would be good for a beginner. The set is under 100$.

Bless
Shawn

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

I use tripoli, too and then either rouge or Zam.  The cutting compounds are also called bobbing compounds I believe.
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 53 queries.