Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Floating Cab Photo Behind The Scene  (Read 15890 times)

accented1

Re: Floating Cab Photo Behind The Scene
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing Eric.. I've used this with great success! It really works well with an ipad! Thanks so much!  :occasion14:

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »

Hmmmm, mineral tack putty. Never heard of it. Is it the same thing as plumbers putty?

Thanks. Nice pics! Gotta find a graduated grey piece of paper.....

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »

Hmmmm, mineral tack putty. Never heard of it. Is it the same thing as plumbers putty?

Think wacky tacky or poster tack.  It's reusable.  Plumber's putty is an epoxy that cures hard, and not what you want for this application.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 12:31:57 PM »

Think wacky tacky or poster tack.  It's reusable.  Plumber's putty is an epoxy that cures hard, and not what you want for this application.

Thanks. But plumbers putty stays soft and flexible forever. Just not sure if it's sticky enough.. probably not IIRC. I'll look up poster tack and wacky.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 01:11:12 PM »

I believe what you and I call plumber's putty must be two different things.
The stuff my Father showed me (He was a plumber's apprentice decades ago) was a two part epoxy you kneaded into a putty and when it cured it was like rock.

I know however that 3M makes good poster tack, I've bought it at Michaels before, even seen it at Home Depot and Lowes.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »

I believe what you and I call plumber's putty must be two different things.
The stuff my Father showed me (He was a plumber's apprentice decades ago) was a two part epoxy you kneaded into a putty and when it cured it was like rock.

I know however that 3M makes good poster tack, I've bought it at Michaels before, even seen it at Home Depot and Lowes.

<G> I hear you. I've got a tub of plumbers putty in the garage that's over 7 years old. Still soft and ready to use. I think what your dad showed you had a different name? Plumbers epoxy maybe???

Plumbers putty is the stuff you use when bedding a drain in the kitchen sink, lavatory, tub, etc... also comes in rope form.  It need to stay soft and pliable to prevent leaks, which would happen if it dried out and cracked.

I googled hobby lobby and they carry an equivalent poster tack stuff. I'll get some next time I'm in that area.
Thanks everyone!

Pebblehopper

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial post. On so many other sites the posts of work are place on distracting backgrounds(!). The way you have used the gray scale background shows off the work so much better. John

sealdaddy

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »

Or Silly Putty....

style

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 08:16:19 AM »

Wow. You have to pardon my amazement, I've been taking pictures in my hand or on a desk. :LOLOL:

Rockgirl

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 04:56:59 AM »

Fantastic tips! Will be trying this next time.
Thank you!  :hello2:

55fossil

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »

Nice job, probably best post in awhile for photography.

jerrysg

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 03:04:11 PM »

Something else that works is museum or earthquake putty.  It's used to mount specimens in cases or on bases for display.  Also used in earthquake areas to keep things from shifting. Obviously won't hold during a big one.  One place we have always found it is at RV supply stores. Keeps things from rattling around while you're driving.

rockjunquie

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »

Something else that works is museum or earthquake putty.  It's used to mount specimens in cases or on bases for display.  Also used in earthquake areas to keep things from shifting. Obviously won't hold during a big one.  One place we have always found it is at RV supply stores. Keeps things from rattling around while you're driving.

Is that the same thing as the wax they use for props... called prop wax? That's what I use. You can use it over and over, but it collects dirt readily, like a magnet, so I have to discard frequently.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 50 queries.