Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil vs water trim saw  (Read 4415 times)

Mossagatemac

Oil vs water trim saw
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »

I was at my lapidary store this weekend considering a trim saw and he had several that only used water as a coolant instead of oil.  Then I found a used one online that uses oil...

What's the main difference between a trim saw that needs oil as a coolant vs one that only needs water?  Is it the reservoir, blade, etc something else??

How much of a mess does a trim saw make that only used oil?

Slabbercabber

Re: Oil vs water trim saw
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:15:45 AM »

All wet saws will use whatever coolant/lubricant you wish as long as any included pump can handle the viscosity.  Buy the one you like and use the coolant that works for the purpose.  I've never heard of anyone using oil in a trim saw, but if you can put up with the mess it would work.

Rockoteer

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »

All wet saws will use whatever coolant/lubricant you wish as long as any included pump can handle the viscosity.  Buy the one you like and use the coolant that works for the purpose.  I've never heard of anyone using oil in a trim saw, but if you can put up with the mess it would work.
What you said....

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »

R/V anti freeze  Pink. I use it for trim saws and drain  traps to prevent freezing'
Mix 1 -1  with water for trim saws.   
Silicate life form

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »

Mine's got horse laxative mineral oil in it, and yes it makes a mess but seems to be working great. Same for the slab saw. Added bonus of not having to constantly add more, as the zero percent humidity here (plus the hard water) means scale buildup on anything water-related can be a big problem in the long run.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »

I have 2 trim saws one with oil and one with water. The "plan" was to only use the water one for softer stones like lapis and turquoise to prevent oil absorption.

The reality is I use the water one for everything now.

:icon_tongue:  :hiding: :confused1:

To avoid the arbor nut from locking up due to corrosion I spread grease on the nut and arbor threads. Also I replaced the painted steel splash guard with an aluminum one.

edgarscale

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »

interesting, glad if read this.  will do the same to my trim saw.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 10:23:57 AM »

Water, water and water in all my trim saws. I use the 10 inch trim saw so much I have to change the water several times in a mornings use because it clouds up. The water is cheap, nothing hazardous in it to breath or get onto you and clean up is so easy. The only down side is if you could actually keep track you might find your saw blade wears a little faster with water than oil.

TOXIC:  Anything you are shoving your hands and face directly into should be absolutely safe to use!!!   Wear a mask and surgeons gloves to avoid inhaling even the mist from water. Many rocks contain stuff that is not safe to breathe. If you wonder how much rock dust is in the mist just look at your saw and table top after an hour of cutting. The water evaporates and there is a layer of dust left. That is what is now in your mouth, throat, nose and lungs. I just like the gloves because they keep my hands all nice and soft.. ha  Seriously, some of that stuff is bad for you. 

PS:  Gloves are super cheap at Harbor Freight. Maybe a dime a pair for the better ones.

jerrysg

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »

PS:  Gloves are super cheap at Harbor Freight. Maybe a dime a pair for the better ones.

Same price at Costco (400 for $19.99) for nitrile gloves and they come in small, medium and large.

Jerry

jerrysg

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:17 AM »

Our lapidary club has 3 6" trim saws in the cab lab - 2 use mineral oil and one uses water.  The water saw is reserved for soft stones such as turquoise. I think management feels that with the heavy use that the trim saws see, oil extends the live of the blades. But it does create a mess. (Dawn does clean the stones and hands.) 

I only use water in my trim saws at home. They are always drained and cleaned at the end of the day.

Jerry

Rockoteer

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Water, water and water in all my trim saws. <snip>  some of that stuff is bad for you. 

Absolutely.  It is very very bad for you.  Whats a nut or bearing or arbor worth compared to you life.  A no brainer... again jmho
Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.