Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Braids:250 Patterns from Japan, Peru & Beyond by Rodrick Owen - Book Review  (Read 2103 times)

LithicStrings

Rodrick Owen's book is the first one that I bought when I started out doing kumihimo.  I admit I took one live class, which really helped me get started. But after that class, this book kept me going for a long while. In addition to some history with great pictures, he also covers equipment including alternatives like the film canister idea for bobbins (his, not mine) and a cardboard marudai. He also shows how to make a kumihimo card if you want to make your own, as well as a hybrid slotted card on a stand.

The book really shows you all you need to get started.  The many patterns include instructions for both marudai and card method of braiding.  The patterns go from simple beginners braid to complex 31 bobbin braid, with each one having suggestions for different bobbin set-ups to create different color patterns within a single braid pattern.  I find his patterns easiest to follow - when I find a pattern in another book such as Jacqui Carey's that I want to try, I often find the braiding pattern in Owen's book and use it with the other book's bobbin set-up.

I highly recommend this book, especially for the beginner. 
One hint for looking at kumihimo instruction books - be sure you check to see if the book is for the marudai or card method.  I noticed quite a few new beginners books on the market but most appear to cover only the card method (which I think is fairly popular due to less expense to get started and more portable).  I have never tried the card method but if you are using a marudai, you will need a book that shows the patterns for that method.
If you are using the card method, a different book might get you started but Owen's book will still be a valuable addition to your library.

MrsWTownsend

Very cool!  I am a book getter and I WILL be getting this book!   :))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 25 queries.