Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Scotland  (Read 1485 times)

dunninald

• Dunninald Agates
Hello from Scotland
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:41:40 AM »

Greetings all.
Wow, what a choice of emoticons.   :hello:
I am from the east coast of Scotland, land of scotch pebbles - pretty much every kind of quartz, but old and much knocked about. 
Have been tumbling and hand-polishing for years, starting to get into silver work now, and beginning to out-grow my 1970's Robilt lapping gear...  Maybe get a quieter motor, some fresh polishing wheels and an expanding drum grinder, so can cut and polish bigger stones...

Will come to you guys for advice about hardware...

Edward

bobby1

Re: Hello from Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »

Welcome from a fellow Central California lapidary who often visited the west coast of your beautiful country and its super friendly people when I was in the U.S. Navy. There are a lot of very talented, friendly  and knowledgeable people on this forum that are eager to share their experience.
Bob

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:53:14 AM »

Welcome."Old and much knocked about" , so Scottish rocks and myself have lots in common.To me Scotland is synonymous with the invention of the university and the advent of modern science, the true home of physics.Thanks for that !Could you post a photo of your equipment?

dunninald

• Dunninald Agates
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »

Certainly we have a remarkable variety of geology for a small place, helps make the train journeys interesting!

I have two Robilt rigs, one with engine oil for cutting, and the other with water, for shaping and polishing.  The original, my mother got in the 60s or 70s, and didn't use much,  and the other;  a neighbour was clearing out his shed and heard I did stone polishing.  Exactly the same model, and he even had fresh discs.  So I grabbed it.

Photo of the cutting rig, with a stone in progress, plus view of the workshop.

Sapphireminer

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »

Hi dunninald welcome from warm sunny Queensland Australia plent of very clever people on this forum so should be able to have all your questions answered. Dave

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  Also a Southern California based rockhound.  Interesting unit with the horizontal blade and top down vise but it would definitely make for a versatile machine being able to be changed out to saw lap or grind.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »

Welcome from another Southern Californian.  Your Robilt machine design reminds me of my first cutting machine, an American-made  Hillquist.  It had the same saw and vise  arrangement and of course grinding and sanding disks that fit on the central arbor.  I visited Scotland some years ago with my family.  We loved Edinburgh, especially the Castle and the Royal Mile where we found a delightful Scotch Whisky store.  We bought many mini-bottles to sample lovely single-malts from varied distilleries.  Then a train trip through the beautiful Highlands and to Fort Williams.  Among Scotland's many contributions one can't forget Charles Lyell, the father of modern geology.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »

Welcome from Northern Arizona!   :hello:
Robin

Windenzee

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »

Welcome from England. As others would say sunny south.
My brother was up your part of the country a couple of weeks ago and has brought a box of goodies he has collected from streams and coast. Could be interesting.
Karen

dunninald

• Dunninald Agates
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 03:45:17 AM »

@Windenzie,  one of the best Balkeillie fields is currently in potatoes and will be harvested soon. As you know, the harvester includes a grading machine which throws all the large rocks out to one side...  If any of your gang are around, it would be nice to share a bowl of soup.

Edward

Windenzee

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »

Hi Edward,
Would love to. Unfortunately my brother is off to Europe for a couple of months and he heads back to NZ in November.
I myself are tied to the house due to my care commitments at present (thus my brother collecting for me).
Scotland is on my todo list once I can woek it to have a week off.
Keep in contact and if you are down my way the coffee is always on.
Karen

axllaird

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »

Hi dunninald from sunny West Lothian. Been collecting for a couple of years now and cutting and polishing rocks on a rudimentary scale but folk seem to like them. Your tattie field sounds interesting and i've spent a couple of days hounding from the Tay to Arbroath this year...looking to do more and get into it. I'm looking at maybe speaking to the Scottish Lapidary Society down Leith as i have no background for this subject, but it is good fun.
Been looking in here regularly without really posting much for some time...its a great place with superb, knowledgeable posters.
Cheers, mate.

Rockin' Randy

• Rockin' Ran-De's Jewelry
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »

Welcome! I just joined myself. Look like a nice piece of equipment there. Sometimes those old ones are the best.

dunninald

• Dunninald Agates
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 01:07:39 AM »

Hello.  It is very sturdy, think it will outlast me!

Cheers
Edward
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 53 queries.