Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: early 70s Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho owyhees unknowns pt.1  (Read 2002 times)

ducalion

early 70s Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho owyhees unknowns pt.1
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:54:32 PM »

My uncle mined graveyard point and morrisonite and more in the early to late seventies he saved a lot of material for retirement but died outside Bouse Az on his motorcycle some years back. I got into anything rocks about 2 years ago and this last summer I decided to poke around the "rock garden" and through the bushes and 6in layer of dirt i found some beautiful material but I can only positively identify a little of the obvious morrisonite , massive plumes agates, Deschutes et cetera. I ground this down to this pattern I haven't polished yet I'll post more soon thanks.

rocks2dust

Re: early 70s Eastern Oregon/Western Idaho owyhees unknowns pt.1
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »

Matrix reminds me of Morrisonite, and some was those beautiful blues and greens, so I suspect that's what it is.

ducalion

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 12:09:55 AM »

That's what I suspected as well but, the purple border which also surrounds alot of the others throws me off. I really need to get out to the claims and confirm it but ,  even living in marsing it's a day of driving (hopefully) and a royal pain! Thanks, I appreciate unbiased eyes on this,  it drives me crazy sometimes! Here's another that bugs me cause he had alot of flower and Chinese dendritic Jasper's but this doesn't seem like those.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »

Wow, what a beautiful stone!  Looking forward to seeing what other beauties you find.
Robin

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »

Last one is probably Mahogany Mountain.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

RareRocksAndGems.com

• Philip Stephenson
    • RareRocksAndGems.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:39:28 PM »

My uncle mined graveyard point and morrisonite and more in the early to late seventies he saved a lot of material for retirement but died outside Bouse Az on his motorcycle some years back. I got into anything rocks about 2 years ago and this last summer I decided to poke around the "rock garden" and through the bushes and 6in layer of dirt i found some beautiful material but I can only positively identify a little of the obvious morrisonite , massive plumes agates, Deschutes et cetera. I ground this down to this pattern I haven't polished yet I'll post more soon thanks.
Top one is Queenstone. Located south of Marsing. The turn off to the area is on the east side of hwy.95, just at the Weigh Station.

ducalion

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 03:18:52 AM »

Just cut this one it's 3d lol. Strange reddish pink matrix on it sorry I just had to share this one. Btw thanks Phil too bad sommercamp burned up this summer, I'm really sick of seeing my sanctuary (the owyhees) burn up, but makes prospecting easier!

rocks2dust

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:34:47 PM »

Just cut this one it's 3d lol.
I love finding stones with subtle shading that gives a 3D look. That one looks like a combination of a square bracket and a parenthesis - does that mean anything as far as an emoticon? Regardless, that will make one spectacular book-matched pair of cabs.

yukonjade

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »

The 2 halves are a dead ringer for some polychrome jasper from Madagascar I have seen. :WHOAR:

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »

Looks like Crayola Jasper from Nevada.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 46 queries.