Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12  (Read 1509 times)

Grayco

Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »

Greetings Everyone,
I am restoring an old HP B-12 grinder.  The buffing wheel and shroud (right hand side) are missing.

I'm trying to decide if I will put one or two Expando wheels on that end of the shaft or should I put a leather polishing wheel back on there.

Here's one concern.  My shaft is going to be spinning 1740 RPM.  That's pretty fast for a polishing wheel.

I have a 12" leather bull wheel I can put on there but I'm not convinced that's the best use of the space.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.

Currently I have the following wheels.

180 gt....   Red/brown Cratex rubber 120gt  (Acts like a 360 gt) .....  600 gt .....   1200 gt.

I have a separate 12" leather bull wheel that I can use for polishing.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

edgarscale

Re: Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

i think the wheel you put on there would depend on what materials you regularly grind the most and therefore grits you need.  i have 180, 600. 1200, and 1800 (i think) grit wheels.   and i have a separate machine for my polishing wheels with the leather wheel on the side.  you have a standard set up and i would just add the leather wheel on the end. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

jakesrocks

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

In my storage shed I just happen to have a NOS right hand shroud for the B-12 machine that I'd be willing to part with. Make me an offer. I snagged this one off of ebay over a year ago because new parts for the old HP machines are getting hard to find.

Don
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »

This is my alteration. Due to limited space in my shop I ended up placing the HP unit pretty close to the wall and found it awkward to use the leather end disc. Plus I really like the expando. First photo shows the addition of a piece of my shops 1/2" rubber floor tile in the trough below the 3000/1200 wheels. For when those slippery pieces leave my fingers. Less of a chance of breaking them ....

IMG_4550.jpg
*IMG_4550.jpg (80.79 kB . 600x450 - viewed 347 times)
IMG_4551.jpg
*IMG_4551.jpg (78.38 kB . 450x600 - viewed 345 times)
IMG_4552.jpg
*IMG_4552.jpg (72.58 kB . 450x600 - viewed 344 times)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 33 queries.