Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How are you all doing in Cal?  (Read 842 times)

Stonemon

How are you all doing in Cal?
« on: August 22, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »

Hoping everyone is safe.

Bill

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Re: How are you all doing in Cal?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

For those of us in Napa it has been a tense week. I awoke to the sound of my wind chimes going crazy at 2:00 am and figured I needed to tie them up so the neighbors wouldn't complain. Going outside in the dark I saw lightening strikes in four different directions, without thunder, at 30 second plus intervals. Naturally I had to watch for the next hour.....friggen fascinating...Next day we get words of multiple fires north and east of us and also along the coast and near Guerneville in Sonoma co. by the end of the day we had 30,000 acres burn near us and then the fire more than doubled over night. I had three fire maps on my computer hoping we didn't have to evacuate again like we did a few years ago. We lucked out so far, fire came within 7 miles of us and has continued to move east (away from us) as well as most of the smoke. I think the count as of today is over 314,000 acres and 15% contained. The smoke from the Sonoma fire came in yesterday...ash everywhere and we getting that weird burnt orange hue in the sky. It's not done with us yet and I still plot our escape roads in the event we need to leave.

Kinda puts all your "stuff" in perspective as to what you need to take if you go.....My wife and my Martin guitars....not necessarily in that order.

Keep smiling

IMG_2078.jpg
*IMG_2078.jpg (83.01 kB . 450x600 - viewed 143 times)

Felicia

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:50:38 PM »

Hope it's out soon. A good amount of rain would go well, instead of just lightning.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »

We are lucky this time down in Ventura.  After 2 fires close to us and losing the motorhome in the 1st we have plans in place and always keep "togo" documents separate.   Agree that it's an eye opener when you have to decide what you would take.  We were completely caught off guard when the fires came.  Planning is important.  My wifes friend has been watching the lake fire get closer to her place but I think they are finally getting a handle on that one.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »

Wow, that is a massive smoke formation in your photo.  I have family in the Santa Cruz area that is in a similar circumstance right now, on the edge and not quite involved.  Like Steve in Ventura - we endured a similar incidence a few years back in Carpinteria and having a "go bag" at the ready helps ease the anxiety.

Was reading about how stretched thin our fire departments are.  This has been a heeluva year so far!  I kind of expect locusts next and then the 4 horsemen.  Wishes of cooling temps and rain to you and yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 35 queries.