Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next up, silversmithing  (Read 1569 times)

Downwindtracker2

Next up, silversmithing
« on: February 15, 2020, 11:42:19 AM »

A couple of more days of work or so, and the saws will be finished. So the next thing on the wife's list is silversmithing. We have a plumbers B-tank, acetylene, and torch sitting in the corner from the old shop. I realize the regulator will need a rebuild, the rubber hose is too old , and the tank is stale dated. Age is a problem with these as well. These things I can deal with at the local welding supply. However at the torch end, I am completely at loss.I have never even used them at work  Tip sizes, brands. My google search hasn't yielded ant things. THX.

Ray

Felicia

Re: Next up, silversmithing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »

Tip sizes will depend on the size of the items she's planning on making. The larger the item, the more "firepower" needed. Something like the "little torch" (brand name) goes from really tiny to a moderate flame and is good for jewelry. If she's doing silver vessels or casting, larger tips are necessary. Hey hope she has fun doing it!

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:00:18 PM »

Thanks, this question is for setting up the club's shop. Since I already have bottles for oxy/acetylene, I did get her a Smith Little Torch knock-off for home use. My medium duty industrial tips would be a bit hot I would think.  :toothy10:

Felicia

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »

There's a lot out there. There's always Rio Grande of course, but there are other places, too. I can't have tanks where I'm living now, so just have a small and a large butane.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »

i actually use a plumbing torch with Mapp gas on a brick on top of my wash machine to make my silver items.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:18:00 AM »

Plumber's torch is a good general purpose tool for silversmithing.  College courses generally use acetylene -air.  After you have been doing it a while you may decide you need something more specific, but I would not jump into anything like a little torch until you have some experience.

gunsil

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:48:15 AM »

I have been making jewelry for near fifty years and I use a plumber's style acetylene/air torch. I have several, one with a Smith's handle and five tips and others with a Prestolite handle and five tips. I find the "little torch' good for small repairs and making small rings, earrings, and pendants but otherwise I find it useless. One cannot put a small bail on a large (say20x30) stone setting, you just can't get the larger mass of metal hot enough for good solder flow. Little torch will not handle bracelets, belt buckles, or large settings. Heck, for heavy bracelets and belt buckles I am using two acetylene torches with fairly large tips to get enough heat. I have found a few of the B tank acetylene used outfits at flea markets for under twenty bucks with regulator, hose and handle with one tip. Often with a half to full tank. Usually only need to replace the hose and get another few tips. Check your local craigslist and the flea markets for great deals on these versatile units.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »

Paige Tools makes tips for I believe all the major brands of torches.

http://www.paigetools.com/
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 41 queries.