Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabston diamond "nova" wheel  (Read 1049 times)

Ryaly2dogs

Cabston diamond "nova" wheel
« on: July 25, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »

Good evening forum:  I am web surfing alternatives for replacement 6 inch diamond soft wheel in grits in range of #1000 to #6000 for finishing.  EBay of course lists the ubiquitous Diamond Pacific Nova wheel for about $100/ea which I have used in the past with good results.  I checked out Etsy and found a similar looking product from an entity in Lithuania (yep, you read that right) called Cabston.  I posted link below.

Question:  Has anyone in this forum used these wheels and are they worth their discount price at $60/ea?  The price is attractive, but only if they last/perform comparably to Diamond Pacific.

Thanks much for your insights/experience.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/528224590/top-6-cabston-grit-1200-lapidary-diamond?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nova+diamond+wheel&ref=sr_gallery-1-18&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Slabbercabber

Re: Cabston diamond "nova" wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »

I know nothing about them but that looks more like a belt than a soft impregnated wheel.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:34:36 PM »

I haven't  used them personally but I've seen reports on other forums that vary.  Some folks seem to like them a lot; others say they're good but difficult to break in.  What's the shipping cost  on one of those if you know?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »

I have heard mixed results. Wheels that are hard to break in are a big pain , nova wheels take long enough.Eastwind wheels are an alternative , they break in ok and cut quite aggressively but do not have the phenomenal staying power of the nova wheels.

gunsil

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 06:29:16 AM »

Check out Johnson Brothers Lapidary. They resurface your Nova wheels at a very nice price and advertise that they cut faster and last longer than when new. I have not yet tried them, but I did see them at Quartzite and their resurfaced wheels looked good. I have tried cheaper wheels from K-N, they are OK, but I will try the resurfaced ones from Johnson Bros next time I need some.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 01:23:41 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  They appear to be selling wheels as opposed to belts, lots of 5 star customers saying the are of good quality and last long, and statements that customer service is friendly and helpful.  Shipping is apparently fast (for Europe) and free.

I am going to go ahead and purchase one unit and will report out after I receive/use.  If they are all they appear to be, will order more. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 37 queries.