Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sites in Pennsylvania?  (Read 966 times)

Gem Realm

• Gem Realm
Sites in Pennsylvania?
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »

Hello, Everyone! I'm sure we all know that places like Arkansas, the Carolinas and Herkimer are some of the hotspots --- but does anyone know anything about any possible sites in Pennsylvania? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.  :smiley:
~ Rosemary

Gem Realm
www.gemrealm.com

rocks2dust

Re: Sites in Pennsylvania?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:39:54 AM »

There are minerals throughout central Pennsylvania from Harrisburg south to the WV and MD borders. Road cuts on county roads can be interesting, though you'd want some sort of guide to identify PA minerals. The problem is finding public land where you can look. Schuylkill County is famous for its quartz crystals, and of course there are old coal mines that you may be able to access (hard anthracite was used as a gem during the Victorian period, and there are plant fossils that might be found in the tailings, too). Some quartz north of Philadelphia, too (streamsides in parks in Montgomery County), though I don't know whether there are restrictions.

Sandstone outcrops and roadcuts in the southeast part of the state have yielded trilobites and other marine fossils. Swatara State Park north of Fredricksburg has a fossil pit where you are allowed to dig. The Montour Preserve east of Muncy also has a fossil dig. The state has some infohere.

Gem Realm

• Gem Realm
Re: Sites in Pennsylvania?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »

There are minerals throughout central Pennsylvania from Harrisburg south to the WV and MD borders. Road cuts on county roads can be interesting, though you'd want some sort of guide to identify PA minerals. The problem is finding public land where you can look. Schuylkill County is famous for its quartz crystals, and of course there are old coal mines that you may be able to access (hard anthracite was used as a gem during the Victorian period, and there are plant fossils that might be found in the tailings, too). Some quartz north of Philadelphia, too (streamsides in parks in Montgomery County), though I don't know whether there are restrictions.

Sandstone outcrops and roadcuts in the southeast part of the state have yielded trilobites and other marine fossils. Swatara State Park north of Fredricksburg has a fossil pit where you are allowed to dig. The Montour Preserve east of Muncy also has a fossil dig. The state has some infohere.

Great! Thank you so much for sharing.  None of these places are particularly close (I'm on the Pittsburgh side of the state), but this is definitely worth looking into for the future. But yes, it can be challenging finding places where you're actually allowed to dig...otherwise it would be considered trespassing. Thanks so much for the link. I'll definitely check it out. :-)
~ Rosemary

Gem Realm
www.gemrealm.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.