Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Found A Problem On Frantom 18" Saw  (Read 887 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Found A Problem On Frantom 18" Saw
« on: October 28, 2019, 06:24:48 AM »

Since we've had the old Frantom 18" saw, the split nut kept loosening up on the right side. I would loosen the nut on the back side and re-tighten the bolt, but after a while it would need to be done again.

While doing a cleanout I decided to try to figure out why. Took the nut off the back side - it was partially stripped. Suspecting the bolt thread might also be damaged I backed it out and found it was damaged about three turns down. That's why the nut seemed to snug up okay against the little "star" type lock washer. The nut was going on far enough to look and feel tight, but it was only tightening against that bad thread on the bolt.

Well, God bless Fran and Tom because the same type bolt holds the release handle on. I swapped the good one from the handle for the bad one from the split nut, then fixed the bad one and used it in the handle. Split nut engages much better now.

It causes Robin's eyebrows to rise up her forehead sometimes when I do it, but sometimes it's good to dismantle things.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Found A Problem On Frantom 18" Saw
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:16:37 AM »

Right on.  Most problems don't need an owner's manual, or even an engineer --- just some patience, common sense, and occasionally an improvised part replacement.  The feed mechanism on a slab saw is its heart and soul.  And yours had new life.  Adelante. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.