Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 18" saw  (Read 1507 times)

Jhon P

18" saw
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:57:50 PM »

Ahhh ugggg! #%*!?##%

Sorry just venting. Was going to
Slab up a piece of moss agate and the screw drive isn't working. The saw is an old Fran Tom and the half nut is brass. I have repaired it twice already in the time I have had the saw. I don't think I can fix it again so I guess I will Take it off and take it to a retired Machinest we know and see if he will
Make me one out of steel.  Whaaa! I don't have time, I just want to cut rocks.  :cry:

Ok
I am Done. Time I get to Work. One good thing, I just cleaned the saw so I don't have a slimy mess to work with  :icon_thumleft:

Slabbercabber

Re: 18" saw
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 04:04:45 AM »

Whatever you do, don't make it out of steel.  The brass is used as a fuse.  When the carriage stops moving for whatever reason, the brass slips in and out of the screw threads.  Eventually it wears out.  Steel on steel will gall during use and grab when the carriage stops.  Instead of some wear on the nut you will have a destroyed nut and screw.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:28:09 AM »

Slabbercabber is correct from my experience. In the marine industry we use different metals for turnbuckles for that very reason...galling. Typically a stainless steel body with bronze threaded eyes.

It must be nice though to have a clean saw  :blob1:

Orrum

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »

Use a small alligator style clip. You can grind it a little if need be. It's looks like a minature jumper cable clip. Get it at any hardware. It will slip or just tear up the clip if the saw stalls and not hurt the screw drive.

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »

When I
Get it off I will see if I have enough material left to
Grind it down again (have to grind some off so
It will close on the drive)and cut the threads again!!
I have done it twice so I have some experience. Oh well
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.